PDA

View Full Version : heat tape?

jason h
07-21-02, 03:38 PM
ok welli got some heat tape for my rack (finally) but now what do i do with it,solder wires to it?(nev3er uded it before need help):confused:

Jeff_Favelle
07-21-02, 04:16 PM
There's no ground, so you don't need a 3-way wire. Just solder the wire to each of the metal bands that runs along the outside of the heat tape (you'll have to peel back the plastic coating). Piece of cake. I wired 60 feet this spring in a couple hours.
Good luck man! Make sure its safe.

jason h
07-21-02, 04:24 PM
thanx guy! I got 25 ft to wire up,can it be wired threw a dimmer switch as well?:)

Ian
07-21-02, 05:04 PM
Best way is to use those eyelet connecters that they use for stereos and other electrical things. You attach those to the ends of the wires and then use and screw and screw through the eyelets and the heat tape. The just use some think electrical tape to go over top. This makes it easier to take apart if you ever need to.

If you need some pics I can take some.

jason h
07-21-02, 05:57 PM
ian i think i understand what your saying but if you have pics that would help alot thanx!

Jeff_Favelle
07-21-02, 06:45 PM
Why didn't you let me in on your "secret" before? You know I hate soldering wire!

You owe me now.

Grant vg
07-21-02, 09:34 PM
Yup ian,
I did the same thing.....since i didn't have soldering equipment, i just drilled a hole on either side, got that cheapo wire from the corner store, spliced it, attached a ring connector on each piece of wire....put the ring connectors (which are attached to the wire...) on a screw and put the screw through the hole....and cover it with electrical tape.....One thing i did was also include washers on either side of the hole....but its not neccesary....

And it has worked great ever since!

Good luck Jason!
and remember , dont let ur cat near a "live" end when u go to the washroom.....lol...ummm.eee...ahhhh....someone told me about that happening to them...yeah ...thats it...i swear .....it wasn't me....o>

gunnerslakeshor
07-22-02, 09:28 AM
Hey Guys
I havent seen heattape here in years. Ive worked with it (smuggled from the usa by a friend ) who carrys it in canada.?
Phil

Jeff_Favelle
07-22-02, 09:40 AM
We just order it from the Bean Farm or similr outlet from the States.

jason h
07-23-02, 06:38 AM
i got mine from pcpc for 6.99 a ft. for 3"wide

thanx guys for the help!:D

ReneeB
07-23-02, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Grant vg

Good luck Jason!
and remember , dont let ur cat near a "live" end when u go to the washroom.....lol...ummm.eee...ahhhh....someone told me about that happening to them...yeah ...thats it...i swear .....it wasn't me....o>

Hey Now we know what happened to Grant's cats! :D

Sorry Grant, I couldn't resist. But it kinda does explain the smaller cat's expression in the pic
Thread on Grant's Cat with the picture I'm talking about (http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1964)

As for heat tape, anyone used alligator clips?

Grant vg
07-23-02, 08:33 AM
ROTFLMAO!!

HAAHA....Renee, u just wont leave it alone will ya!