PDA

View Full Version : Att. Breeders!!! Incubation question??

BoidKeeper
07-20-02, 07:40 PM
Att. Breeders!!! Incubation question??

What are you folks using for incubators? I'm looking for ideas. I can buy a commercial chicken incubator from a farm supply store for about $60 Canadian but I'm not sure if it wouldn’t be easier to just build one. I don't mind spending the cash because when it comes to incubation it is not something I want to leave to chance. So what are you guys using, home made, commercial what?
Thanks in advance,
Trevor
:cool:

TonyL
07-20-02, 07:56 PM
Hi Boid, I keep leopard geckos and started with a homemade incubator but then switched to a Hovabator. In my experience I found that a homemade version is tougher to get the conditions right. I think the chicken incubator would be best bet.

However lets hear from some snake breeders as they may have had a different experience.

CMR
07-21-02, 01:07 PM
But if not, and you have $60 to spend then I would go with the Hovabator Incubator. It is a popular inexpensive incubator. I personally have never used one but many people have with great success. The only problems I have heard of is poor humidity monitoring my the “Individual” and once is a wile I will hear of a defective units that has poorly controlled the temps and cooked a clutch of eggs. I guess those are the chances we take with an inexpensive incubator. I "PERSONALLY" would not recommend using this unit with an expensive investment project. I would have a hart attack if I lost a $5000+ clutch of eggs over a $60 incubator.:eek: But here are a few different models to look at: www.gqfmfg.com.

I have converted my office into a 10’x12’walk in incubator but, if your planning on joining the wonderful world of snake breeding on a larger scale and don’t have an extra room or closet to convert into an incubator. You may want to consider purchasing the Safety Hatch from www.bigappleherp.com. It’s big but doesn’t take up to much space. I still use this unit for my colubrid with great success. I think it runs about $600 (US) dollars with the Optional Clear Acrylic Door. Do your homework but definitely check into this unit.

I hope this helped… :)

BoidKeeper
07-22-02, 07:56 PM
Good stuff thats Charles, and others too of course!
Cheers,
Trevor

CMR
07-24-02, 12:21 AM
No problem,.. Let me know witch incubator system you went with…and keep me posted.