PDA

View Full Version : what would be a good boa?

snakedude_03
07-20-02, 04:12 PM
hey.. what would be a good starter boa? something that doesnt grow over.. umm. 9 feet or 8 feet...?

BIG SCOTT
07-20-02, 04:34 PM
Try a Rosy boa their very easy to care for as long as you keep the humidity very low. Also a Red-Tail would be a good starting snake as not all of them will get above 9ft. The males get smaller than the females so you would want a male. However some red-tails can be very agressive so be careful. Let us know what you choose.

See Ya Around,BIG SCOTT

snakedude_03
07-20-02, 04:43 PM
i'm not all that into rosy boas... maybe red tails.. how about hogg isle boas? those seem pretty cool...

kane
07-21-02, 08:21 AM
hey try a rainbow boa nice looking and don't grow to big.

PoiSoNouS
07-21-02, 09:44 AM
hogg island boa get to 5-6 feet as I heard...
rainbow boas are beautifull but needs lot of humidity.
You could get an Amazon tree boa, that grows to 6 feet long, if you have one baby, you could handle him like a redtail. (but you really have to take him as a baby.. or you Will be bitten and not just once... lol) They have a real great choice of colour. They need a good level of humidity though.
They are arboreal (but nocturnal) so they are always in a branch.
It may be not a perfect starter snake, but well.. it doesnt grow to big, are beautifull and is a boa.. lol :)

So what are you willing to do for a snake ? :D

Just be carefull in your choice.
If you have any questions... :)

Linds
07-21-02, 10:01 AM
*sigh* So ya don't care for rosy boas eh...... j/j ;) Hog Isle Boas woudl make a good first boa, they are around 4-6 feet (6 feet is considered large) so they dont require anything larger than 3' enclosure. If you are shooting for a larger snake then a common boa would be a good choice. They are both relatively easy to care for and <I>generally</I> have good temperaments, but as with any snake, that's not a set in stone rule.

I wouldn't recommend getting an Amazon unless you are prepared for a cranky snake. Sometimes you can tame them down, but I wouldn't count on it. They have huge teeth and aren't afraid to use them. Also, tree boas are have exacting needs and are far more delicate overall. There is no margin for error.

Good luck with your decision ;)

snakedude_03
07-21-02, 10:26 AM
so far.. hogg isles seems pretty good.. any feed back about them?

snakedude_03
07-21-02, 10:30 AM
also.. how about cook's tree boas?

sSNAKESs.com
07-21-02, 12:58 PM
Cooks are VERY RARE in this hobby... mostly ALL cooks people are selling are Garden Phase Amazons...

Linds
07-21-02, 01:53 PM
As I mentioned in my reply above, tree boas are not good first boas due to their fragile nature, fiesty attitudes, and exacting husbandry (emeralds, amazons, annulated, etc).

Jeff is correct, true Cook's tree boas are an extrememely rare find in the hobby. The captive numbers are dwindling, and I believe exporting them is not permitted.

reverendsterlin
07-26-02, 01:27 PM
I suggest sticking with the Bci, the Bcc are more stringent in husbandry, environment, and feeding. My Bci at 6 years is a little over 8 ft and 50+ lbs. Just this year I had to take her off classroom shows because I feel she is too strong to be around kids anymore but she is still one of my favorites
Sterling

constrictor
07-29-02, 08:36 AM
try a dumeril's boa. good temperment and only about 6 to 7 feet total length unless you get a huge female. they are kinda rare but not bad in price. my buddy has 4 and i am getting one when the new ones are born. awesome coloring too.

girraffasaurus
07-29-02, 11:34 AM
My roommate has a Hogg Isle, and it's pretty cool. Don't know much about them, though.

Darren Hamill
07-30-02, 12:16 AM
If you're not into Rosy Boas then I would suggest a Colombian or Central American Boa <i> (Boa constrictor imperator) </i>or simply a Hogg Isle Boa. If the smaller size and price are both an issue then I would say that a male <i> (B. c. imperator) </i> is you're best bet.

sara
07-31-02, 10:44 PM
Nobody has mentioned Argentine Boas yet!?(boa constrictor occidentalis) I have a male and he is easily my favorite boa. They usually grow into the 5'-8' range and have great personalities. I guess they aren't very common in Canada yet, but they are fairly common and inexpensive in the U.S.
I hope you find something that you like. Good luck. :)

sara

Linds
08-01-02, 07:34 AM
Sara,
Yup, that's exactly why Argentines werent mentioned, to my knowledge we don't have any "legal" Argentines in Canada. Would I ever love one though! They are gorgeous animals!!!

sara
08-01-02, 12:08 PM
Oh.
I didn't know that.
I bought mine off my neighbor just before he moved. I guess i'm pretty lucky then. :D
(i'll post some pics of him later)

sara

snakedude_03
08-02-02, 10:04 AM
i'm thinking of hogg isle... maybe brazilian rainbow...

jncoclub
08-08-02, 01:36 PM
Hi- I'm Girraffasaurus/Kellie's roommate. Although I'm new to the snake world - I have 4 in my room (Hog Isle, Columbian Red Tail, Ball Python, Burmese python). We love our Hog Isle boa. She has the same sweet personality of our Red Tail; active, friendly, inquisitive, and definatly a practicing escape artist. Other than being suckers for new baby snakes, we got her with the intention of hoping that she would breed with our Red Tail. However we recently found out that we have a little lesbian thing happening and that we should no longer expect to have babies. Don't worry, we still love both our little ladies though!

BIG SCOTT
08-09-02, 03:42 PM
Definitley look into the Argentine boas they are beautiful and easy to care for.

Sean_.E.
08-09-02, 06:53 PM
What about the smaller pocket boas?

Sand boas, solomon Isle Ground boas...etc

They are easy to care for and are really neat!

mloehr
09-04-02, 05:49 PM
i would go with a common redtail. hogg isle are cool but the bigger they get the more aggressive they become. i have both hogg isle and columbina they are all beautiful but i like my columbina boas better.if you get a bcc you have more to choose from there are so many different breeds/localities to choose from. make sure you get what ever you decide from a good breeder.
mat

Jeff_Favelle
09-04-02, 06:53 PM
But why would an occidentalis be illegal in Canada?

hip
09-04-02, 07:07 PM
Columbian boa's are a pretty good choice (B.C.I) though females can get rather large up to 9 feet males are usally smaller 5-7 feet on average they are easy to care for excellent feeders on frozen thawed rodents and are generally less expensive than true red tails they have a good temperment (for the most part) and some can have stunning colors and patterns just do your home work before you buy so you know what your getting into boa's can live 20 years or even longer so it's a "long term investment" good luck Best Regards Hip

J.J.
09-05-02, 04:24 PM
Yeah, My sciencce teacher has a AWESOME columbian boa, and I have a AWESOME baby red tail, she was my first boa!! I got her about oh, lets say, a month ago, so I would have to say those two!!

reverendsterlin
09-05-02, 04:49 PM
Occidentalus are CITES 1 animals, the US distinguishes between capitive born (non-CITES) and imports(better have the right permits or jail), seems that Canada doesn't and requires CITES 1 permits even for CCB. But also don't be fooled by short lengths, my pair are both 8+ft but the male is only 14-15 lbs while the female is more around 25lbs. I have been nailed by SFE's but I find the temperment basically similar the Bci, the femaqle does get an attitude with a full belly, plenty of open mouthed hissing but no strikes. All strikes are SFE's of my own carelessness.

Syst3m
09-05-02, 10:37 PM
My Personal Suggestion would be a Brazilian Rainbow, They do need high Humidity and aren't a good starter snake. But if you have cared for snakes before then You should be able to adapt to the needs of a brazilian. keeping high humidity is not all that hard to do. hides filled with spagnum Areated water dishes constant spraying are all good ways to keep good humidity, and Semi covered lids, Screen tops let the humidty out to easy. They are Beautiful snakes, very tame snakes from my experiences. People Say they are very nippy as juvs and tame alot with handling. Mine has never even struck at me and neither has any of the ones I have handled yet. And they seem to bond with their keepers very fast, but that could just be a matter of personal opinion for me. I've only had mine for a few days and she is already very personal twards me and my family. She rest with me and doesn't try to get away.