PDA

View Full Version : Mice numbers

SilverTongue
07-20-02, 11:27 AM
I have just started breeding mice for my corn and the corns I am getting in August. I have a 10 gallon aquarem with 1.3 white mice. I was wondering if it would be safe to add another 1.3 in there?? Since I bought teh mice at the petstore it will be a month before any get pregnate. And I by that time will have another tank to keep the mommys in till the babies are born. Any adavice?

Jezabel
07-20-02, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the board!

I'ld not put 2 male together but you can definitly add other female. It's the best time to add female cause when their will start to have litter, ther might not accept the new female.

SilverTongue
07-20-02, 11:34 AM
Ok great will do thanks :hour:

PetCrazy
07-27-02, 11:54 PM
I agree, never keep two males together.

Asides the fact that the males will fight (and it becomes a bloody mess depending on the level of aggression of your mice).

It distresses the females, and the males will actualy even go to the extent of KILLING any litters that may have been from the opposing male.

The only time I ever had two males together was when I thought J.A was a female, and even if he was just an ignorant male mouse(didn't know what to do) this few SECOND interaction with the fully mature male would get his competitive side up. And guess what?
IT WORKED!!!

(No worries, I stood there, male went in, J.A came RUNNING at him...and I pulled the other male right out before anything could happen. Ever since then, I've had non stop litters...I can't even keep up!!!!)

You can introduce the other female if you think you've got room, but just keep an eye on it. Sometimes they aren't always too pleasant with new comers. Otherwise, just get another enclosure and have another breeding group, if you really need it.

reverendsterlin
08-02-02, 04:07 AM
the folks at the feeder place I buy from run 1:6 in all their enclosures