PDA

View Full Version : newbie here....tank help...

wonder_chunky
07-18-02, 07:00 PM
hey,

i mostly keep lizards but i'm getting a 38 gallon aquarium soon and i want to set up a nice freshwater aquarium. I dont want it to be one with blue pebbles in the bottom with a plastic skeleton in it and some guppies...i want one with the live plants in it and all the rocks and stuff like that...sorta like some of the ones in the "lets see your tanks..." post but not too many plants or it gets kinda cluttered. so does anyone have any tips for me on what kinda plants i should get or what kind of fish (i want nice colourful ones) etc......

thanks alot,
Ryan

snakedude_03
07-18-02, 07:04 PM
icic.. so ryan.. u r getting into that stuff too eh... i dunno much about fish.. o well.. those reef tanks are pretty expensive i think..i dunno.. sorry.. haha..

snakedude_03
07-18-02, 07:04 PM
=S

Shane Tesser
07-18-02, 11:51 PM
Just a quick few, ive typed so much tonight my hands are hurting and i just got off work where again, i crushed a finger with a hammer. Try these. Sword plants, java ferns, java moss, crytocal (i think thats the spelling). These are all easy ones....for the swords stay away from the red coloured ones...sorry but you will kill them, they are really delicate (not that your not capable) they just rarely survive in the majority of tanks. A thirty something gallon hey....okay buy either a canister (external filter) these can be a bit expensive....you wont need a big one though. Or lets say an aqua clear 300 model...these are the water fall style ones you see hanging off the back of tanks. When you buy the plants, or select which ones you would like, please do research...or ask one of us....we might save you alot of money as they are often really expensive. And you have to watch out because some stores will try to pass off a semi aquatic plant that will soon rot on you when fully submerged. K, fertilizer....water plants need them too. Ill make this real simple....buy hagen brand natural peat...not peat moss...peat. It looks like hair. About $7 around my area. Get this from the pet store. When you get the plants wrap some of this around the roots, then put them in the soil. Next buy whats called a filter sock...these are just little bags that fit what ever filter you buy. Put a bunch of the peat in the bag and put it in the filter, this will supply nutrient for about three months...thats how long i run mine. As for the rest, decorate how you like...just let the plants over grow for a little while then prune them to what ever suits your style. Fish, again reseach, you dont want any that rip apart or eat the plants. I would say swords or plattys to start. These are live bearers, easy to breed, easy to care for, and come in every colour under the sun. And they are cheap...i buy them all the time...i just love them. Or, i guess the easiest way is to check out a tank at your locale store that you like...find out whats in it, and we will help you through it. And now that i think about it, i see your from Barrie, i go by there all the time to visit my g-friend mom in Orillia. Let me know when your ready and ill bring you some plants. I want a serious effort first...i usually sell these plants and make a quite of bit of money for them, so you have to prove your serious if im going to give you free stuff, lol. s.t.

wonder_chunky
07-19-02, 03:30 PM
hey,

i planned on going to that new fish store in barrie...big al's lol
they have soooo much stuff there...alot of plants too...but i'll look and see if they have the fish you were talking about...i dont think i'd breed them (but you never know) also this is my first tank (besides goldfish etc) and i made the grave descision of buyoing snails to keep the tank clean...the snails multiplied so fast and eventually killed off my fish!!! so i wont do that again! lol....also...i live just south of barrie....in thornton...but i just put barrie becuase i'm very close and no one would know what or where thornton is..lol...

but i dont know if i'll get as into fish as you are....although the tanks and fish look amazing!...but i definately want at least one nice tank and maybe i'll move on from there.....but i definately want the one....and i'm pretty responsible (keep in mind im 15 though..lol) so i can take care of a tank just as i take care of all my chams and geckos.....so i can assure you there will be a serious effort put towards this to ensure a nice lookin' tank and some healthy happy fish!

thanks for your hepl,
Ryan

corr
07-19-02, 04:37 PM
Big Al's is a good place to start...

They have a good selection of gravel and everything else you'll need. I second the notion of an AC300... good, cheap filter. Another plant that would be good is Val, Tiger or other. It's very hardy in low light. BTW, do you know how much light you'll have? Is it a kit you're buying or just the tank yet? If you find that you don't like Platys or Swords there are a lot of Schooling Tetras that would love a 38 gallon.

Best thing to do, I think, is to go to the lfs, see what you like and then research it or ask us here. HTH

Shane Tesser
07-21-02, 04:11 PM
Hey W.C. Just letting you know that age has nothing to do with keeping animals....it all depends on the amount of love that your prepared to give them. I have seen some of your other posts, and some of your pictures in the achieves and you are definately responsible enough. Big Al's as Corr stated is a perfect place to start, they are very knowledgeable and i actually didn't know that they has a store there, i will have to visit it the next time im out that way....and i will bring you some stuff. s.t.