PDA

View Full Version : Poor blind milk snake

Nicky
07-18-02, 09:57 AM
hey guys Yesterday we me and my cuz we were out doing some herping in the bush near our cottage when we found a 2 foot long eastern milksnake! but then we noticed it's eyes it was blind. No it wasn't shedding because of they way they were you could tell it was horrible. i know snakes use smell more than sight but do you think that will affect it's chances of survival? we also found 3 garters! one was 4 feet long!
WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
herping is soo fun great way to waste the summer!

stewart
07-18-02, 02:55 PM
Where are you herping? I'm still trying to find my first milksnake. I went out herping today and found a garter and a couple of redbellies.

snakedude_03
07-18-02, 05:30 PM
all i can find are garters.. but once i found a black snake.. still dont know what it was...

Nicky
07-18-02, 06:54 PM
up at my cottage in Ontario we have 5 different species of snake there

Nicky
07-18-02, 06:56 PM
you can find garters in Credit river and black rat snakes and queens in orrilia depends where you look we herp near lake dalrimple

snakedude_03
07-18-02, 07:02 PM
yeah... i think i saw a black rat snake..couldnt see that well.. it was running away!.

stewart
07-18-02, 09:37 PM
Black Rat Snakes are found in the Kingston and Rideau Lakes area. There is also a small population in a few counties bordering Lake Erie. As far as I know there are no black rats in Orillia. Maybe you saw a melanistic garter snake.

Nicky
07-21-02, 07:14 PM
actually I also go herping in orrilia and once we found a baby black rat snake so maybe there just really rare there?

stewart
07-21-02, 11:16 PM
I've been checking out all my books, and many websites on Ontario herps, and I can't find a single range map that puts Black Rat Snakes anywhere near Orillia. I wish there where some there because it would be a shorter drive to go find them. Here is a range map compiled by the MNR, based on records in the Ontario Herpetofaunal Summary Database.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/nhic/herps/Southern_Ont/Snakes/rasn.jpg

Happy Herping

Andrew
07-22-02, 10:27 AM
That is really odd finding a blind snake and having it still be alive. I mean you would think that since it couldn't see that something would have eaten it by now. What did you do with it?

Pythonian
07-25-02, 03:49 PM
whenever i go herping i never find snakes :( at all!! just pigs and boars! (damn red neck town) but when i go to the beach behind a nucleur power plant everytime there is one black racer (maybe the same one?) that runs under my car! I swear it's like that Geico commercial with the 2 squirrels? he sits there and waits then when i get there he runs underneath! I never hit him thank god!!! but EVERY time! like clockwork.. there hasn't been one time that this hasn't happened! .. silly snakes.... i bet he laughs at me "Look at that stupid human jamming on his breaks!!! watch! I bet I can make him do it again!"

Nicky
07-26-02, 04:47 PM
oh as for the milksnake we relized it was the blue eyed state lol i feel like sucha loser anyway we just put it back were we found the little guy but not befor he shed for us!! he gave us a little good bye gift!