PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

Jo060
08-16-03, 02:47 PM
I just got a BP today, and the humidity is 50% what should I do to higher it? Shouldn't it be 70%-75%?

reptilez
08-16-03, 02:50 PM
I keep mine at about 60% and when shedding up to 80%

Jo060
08-16-03, 02:51 PM
I keep mine at about 60% and when shedding up to 80%

What do you do to higher the humidity to 80%?

reptilez
08-16-03, 02:57 PM
I use a squirt bottle and spray the enclosure with water. On one side i have a Hide with moss in it(Humid Hide). I spray the moss aswell and do that twice a day till it sheds its skin.
-Reptilez

Solid Snake
08-16-03, 09:17 PM
what kind of subtrate are u using? If your using Reti carpet or any other carpets like that, its hard to keep the humidity up. You can put a large water bowl in the tank to see if it rises or not.

This is what i did for my BP. I put repti carpet and medium bowl of water and tin foiled the lid which got the humidity up to 70%. The reason why i dont use any other substrate other than the carpet is because my BP doesn't eat if i move him, hes got to eat in his tank. I have to dangle it in front of his hide for him to come out.

For my Boa i put aspen and repti dirt together and the humidity is up at 75%. So, there we have it, aspen holds humidity much better. Btw, my Boa tank doesn't have tin foil over it.

edit - Misting the cage only helps maybe for an hour or so, then it dries up. It isn't all that much helpfull unless u do it a couple of times a day. But 50% aint too bad.

Jo060
08-16-03, 09:20 PM
I use news paper as my substrate. and I have a water bowl for him too.

Solid Snake
08-16-03, 09:22 PM
what kind of inclosure?

Jo060
08-16-03, 09:42 PM
A 20 gal. long glass tank. With a mesh top. On unprinted newspaper substrate with 2 hides. On above the UTH. I also have a water dish.

mango
08-17-03, 12:02 AM
I have the same tank with the carpet and i lay a wet towel on top of the mesh and it brings the humidity up nicely during a shed.

daver676
08-17-03, 12:19 AM
I also recommend the "wet towel over the screen lid" trick. Works great for me.

Dave

Jo060
08-17-03, 06:12 AM
Do you lay the we towel over the WHOLE screen? Or...? what?

indea
08-17-03, 06:24 AM
Hi there

I have two royals and I keep my humidity between 60-70% and 75-80 % when shedding.

I keep my bark moist and I have two water bowls inside the viv, one of which is placed directly under my lamp.

I have a Zoo Med humidity gauge on the back wall of my viv and it is extremly accurate. It is well worth investing in one if you havent already.

Hope this helps, however you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing and just use other information as a guidline.

Indea:D

daver676
08-17-03, 08:01 AM
I only lay the towel over a little more than half the screen because the heat for the tank is from a heat lamp. If you only use an UTH, then I would still say to leave a part of the screen uncovered to allow for some ventilation. It's really all about trial and error. Put the towel over half the screen to see where the humidity goes. If the humidity is still too low, cover the tank up a little more. If too high, uncover a bit. You get the idea.

Dave

mango
08-17-03, 09:32 AM
Dave hit it on the head. You and I have what sounds like the same exact tank and i take a small bath towel and fold it in half once and then half that longways so it fits right on top of the tank. It covers about 75% of the top and leaves plently of room for air. Oh and I have the zoo med hygrometer as well and it works nicely. :D

Jo060
08-17-03, 02:06 PM
Hey all thank you VERY MUCH!!! I got the humidty prollem fixed, I have it up to 60% for now. THANKS! :):):):):):):)