BoidKeeper
07-17-02, 04:06 PM
Can rats be kept on cedar?
Thanks,
Trevor

rattekonigin
07-17-02, 04:10 PM
Rats on cedar = big no-no.
#1: they get nasty respiratory infection action happening (I know this from making the mistake myself)
#2: cedar is toxic for herps too. (I dunno if it affects them thru their feeders, but I wouldn't take a chance)
You should keep them on pine, it's costs about the same and has far less ill effects.

BoidKeeper
07-17-02, 04:52 PM
I knew that it was no good for herps b/c of the oils but was unsure for rodents.
Thanks,
Trevor

sungazer
07-17-02, 06:59 PM
yeppers ceder does affect the herps use aspen bedding or just plain old pine shaving (cheep at all ufa)

BoidKeeper
07-20-02, 07:29 PM
Are they the same tree?

reverendsterlin
08-04-02, 10:48 PM
mostly anything that you can't smell is ok, carpetfresh works as does shredded newspaper

Grant vg
08-05-02, 09:19 AM
just go for newspaper!

Jeff_Favelle
08-05-02, 10:22 AM
The guy was NOT asking about herps!! He was asking about rats. Big difference.

NO! Don't used cedar for rats. Just use the cheapo pine shavings. Oh yeah, and to be consistent with everyone else, mealworms can be kept on bran flakes.

Grant vg
08-05-02, 12:07 PM
hey!...i keep all my rats on newspaper......

I cant deal with the stench of pine shavings and amonia....

i change a sheet of newspaper and do i swipe with a paper towel everyother day...works great for me!

Jeff_Favelle
08-05-02, 05:55 PM
How many rats in how big of an area are you using newspaper for? It sounds like it might work quite well. Just curious.

ReneeB
08-05-02, 05:58 PM
What are your ratties kept in Grant? and do you change the newspaper every two days AND wipe with paper towel?

Grant vg
08-05-02, 11:59 PM
Geeze, i didn't know i had stumbled on something new here guys...lmao...

This is my set up....

I bought those rubbermaid containers about 2-2 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet large, the kind that has the tops that meet in the middle and connect with the zig zag pattern....

I screwed holes (about a thousand or so) all around the top half of the sides....

Theres one bigger hole for the water bottle to fit in...
I use a couple pieces of paper and just throw the food in (no bowl no nothin....

Every few days or so, ill pick up the remaining pieces of paper and throw it away...ill also take a few papers towels and wipe away all the remaining rat droppings...then simply replace the paper....and trow more food in there...

Once a week, ill wash out the containers to rid it of any bacteria....
Thats it....

The last thing i want to do is spend loads of money and time on my rat colonies....theres no point...imo....

I fit about 15-20 weanlings in these...10 or so smalls, etc....

ReneeB
08-06-02, 06:58 AM
don't you have problems with them chewing holes into the plastic??
I had two of my females and their litters in one and they chewed a hole thru the lid AND the side...