PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know?

DandK69
08-15-03, 12:53 AM
Came across this little fella while out fishing in the Columbia River in Trail BC Canada. It's about a foot long and spent most of it's time along the bottom chasing minnows. When we caught him, he started striking out and biting the net. We snapped a few pics because we didn't know what type of snake it was or if it was venomous. He did chase after us when we let him go, away from where we were fishing. Anyone know what it is or if it is in fact venomous? Thanks

enso
08-15-03, 01:31 AM
Nonvenomous, northwestern garter is possible, need a better pic or more description.

DandK69
08-15-03, 08:57 AM
Here is a resized pic of the previous. It doesn't look like our garter snakes around here. This particular snake is a reddish brown and has a orange-red strip on the back of it's head. I've seen a lot of snakes in this area before, and this is the first one I've seen like this. Just thought it was odd and wanted to know what it was. Not a huge pressing concern on what it is, just curiousity. LOL Thanks again. :)

ChunkyMunky
08-15-03, 09:03 AM
looks like a checkered to me.

ChunkyMunky
08-15-03, 09:06 AM
nevermind, i dont think there are checkered in canada.

Invictus
08-15-03, 10:16 AM
I would definitely say Checkered Garter, based on the picture... but the northernmost point that I could find on the net that these would be indigenous to is California. I suppose it's not entirely unlikely that they could make it as far as the BC Kootenays, but I wouldn't bank on it....

eyespy
08-15-03, 10:31 AM
It could be that somebody released or lost a former pet, though. Does look way more like a checkered than anything.

Christina
08-15-03, 12:26 PM
Looks like a wandering or a western plains garter. those are the only similar snakes i could find native to that area.
Personally I would go with the wandering garter

Jason

TheRedDragon
08-15-03, 12:30 PM
I think it's a checkered as well...but, I could be wrong.

Christina
08-15-03, 01:08 PM
Common garters are also on occasion patterned very simalar to that as well.
I think that it is safe to rule out the checkered considering that it is a little outside of its home range. lol
Jason

DandK69
08-15-03, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much for the info everyone. At least now I can do a better search online more specific to my area. I have some idea on where to start looking now. Everyone has been so helpful. Anymore ideas would be great. Again, Thank you.

enso
08-15-03, 05:46 PM
The second pic is much more help. Northwestern Garters are described as Brown, greenish, bluish, or black. Distinct red, orange, or yellow stripe down middle of back. May not have side stripes on 2nd or 3rd scale rows. Dark spotted sides. Belly yellow or grey, often with red sptoches. Audubon Field Guide

jaybox_reptiles
08-20-03, 08:08 PM
its definatly a garter looks like a checkerd black neck to me