PDA

View Full Version : would u give up your snakes/reptiles for $/£ 1,000,000!

Lizzy001
08-07-03, 10:12 AM
the title says it all!:)

reptilez
08-07-03, 10:17 AM
Yes i would.... So i could buy thm back again from different breeders, and buy stuff i've only dreemed of:D
-Reptilez

Lizzy001
08-07-03, 10:20 AM
and what if u couldnt buy them backt tho!

AND U COULDNT BUY THEM BACK...sorry forgot to mention!

LISA127
08-07-03, 10:21 AM
Yes, unfortunately, I would. That would mean security which = I can stop worrying, and sleep well at night.

LadyHawke
08-07-03, 10:23 AM
never
my animals are my family and i couldn't think of selling a family member just for the money

drewlowe
08-07-03, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry the money part is good but if i couldn't buy back more then theres no way i could do that. my little ones mean more to me than money!!!!

reptilez
08-07-03, 10:24 AM
Then I would Buy Different Herps. Herps That i always wanted but could never afford:D Like ETBs and GTPs, or Frillies and ackies:D:D
-Reptilez

LISA127
08-07-03, 10:26 AM
I agree. I love my reptiles. Particularly my blue tongued skink. (Could I just keep him? lol) But, I have kids, live pay check to pay check, and half the time there is no food in the house! I worry about college, retirement, etc. For peace of mind, I would probably have to.

wyz
08-07-03, 10:32 AM
Sure ! if you would of said.. 1000$, it would be no.

I love my herps, but we need money to live and to fullfill other important things in life.

Don't wanna start a debate, but the ones who say no the 1 000 000$ I don't think it would be the case if you actually had the money in front of you..

WYZ

drewlowe
08-07-03, 10:40 AM
wyz nowday a million dollars would go so fast. And honestly i would NEVER sell my guys and girls. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!

Jeff Hathaway
08-07-03, 10:45 AM
I'd take the million and put a bunch into buying land in important herp habitats to preserve it.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

lakeridgekennel
08-07-03, 10:46 AM
not a million dollars drewlowe. in canada it would be 2 million. lizzy001 is from england lol

wyz
08-07-03, 10:48 AM
Drew !!! wow I'm really surprised...

Either I have soft values ou you have concret solid ones. :)

Just a question like that, maybe to help me better understand your standing on that issue.

How old are you ?

I'm 31, maybe it's an age or life experience thing. lol

WYZ

lordkovacs
08-07-03, 10:50 AM
i agree with reptilez. i could use that money to get my PhD, pay off my mortgate, then used whatever's left to open a mini-reptile zoo! haha...

Emily-Fisher
08-07-03, 10:53 AM
You would think that $1 000 000 would make me happy but without my herps, no matter how much money I had, I could never be happy again. Like ladyHawke said, you wouldn't sell family for something that would be gone very quickly. Would you sell your son or daughter for $1 000 000? Of course not! So why would you sell any other member of your family?

alex_33
08-07-03, 11:01 AM
Considering I only have one herp right now (untill i get back from vacation) and its a rescued leopard gecko, I definately would! even if I had 5-10 i would still take the money, And i wouldn't buy any huge houses or cars, I would get the important stuff and then get WAYYYYY more reptiles. I think that not talking the $1 000 000 is crazy, Reptiles aren't like brothers sisters or even dogs and cats, they see you as their food source, they dont have feelings for you, they could care less about you. I know this might start a big argument, but that's just what I think.

wyz
08-07-03, 11:11 AM
I also think this will cause a big debate :)

Keep in mind no one is attacking anybody :)

Can you guys add your age in your answers, I really would like to have an idea of who answers YES and who says NO.

Cause I can't beleive that someone who is presently working and know the value of money would refuse such amount of money for reptiles. No matter how strong we can love them.

And, as for comparing them, with family.... sorry, but theirs a huge difference !

Great question by the way ! :)

WYZ

marisa
08-07-03, 11:12 AM
YES YES YES!

I could sell pretty much anything for a million dollars, including body parts, my snakes, whatever. A million dollars is a life changing event, and considering reptiles are cold blooded, live by instinct and most certainly could care less about me....oh yeah, I'd take the money for sure. We are talking a million dollars here.

Marisa

meow_mix450
08-07-03, 11:17 AM
Ya marisa has a good point. a million dollars is a large amount of money, and can change a lot in your life. I would sell my reptile for a million anyday. Ill miss it, but reptile doesnt have feelings for us. Well i dont kno how you would put it but ya. it really depends if you are poor average or rich. If your rich you wouldnt care about a million you got most of the things you want. If your in the middle you might take that million and if your poor you would sell your reptile anyday. To get all the stuff that you need. im 14 by the way. and this is all in my opion lol

drewlowe
08-07-03, 11:23 AM
wyz i'm 24 so i do know monetary value. And i do see them as family i take pride in my reptiles and i don't care if they don't love me or only reconize me as their food source, I love them and they are mine, and after all my time and devotion i just don't see giving them up that easy or that quick just to make a buck. I'm not a materialist type person so i really don't care too much. I would like to have nice things yes but i don't have to. Now if the post was would you sell your car or something that didn't mean that much to me for 1,000,000 then ya i would. It's just that my reptiles are a HUGE part of my life i couldn't give them up for that amount of money. To me it's just not worth it.

lakeridgekennel i live in the states not canada sorry i dont know the conversion.

python_diva_06
08-07-03, 11:30 AM
i would do it for £1,000,000...that's like $1,750,000...don't get me wrong, i love all my herps, even my @$$hole BP...but that's a hell of a lot money and i need to think about college (ecpecally if i plan to go to New York U.)...anyway...that's my 2 cents...
PAULA

LISA127
08-07-03, 12:31 PM
Drew,
I'm sorry, but at 24, with no kids I'm presuming, money is different than when you're in your 30's or 40's, getting older, and thinking about sending the kids to college, weddings, and retirement.

I know some ppl may get upset by this. But here goes. I love reptiles. I enjoy them very much. I take great care of them. But yes, as stated before, I would take the money. I would not, however, and here is where the debate will come in, sell my dog for the money. (Nor my kids, of course.) In fact, my dog IS one of the kids. Ok, go ahead, respond as you'd like.

wyz,
since you wanted to know ages, im almost 35 and my husband is almost 42.

snkmn
08-07-03, 12:58 PM
i would take the 1 million pounds. i would move to england and study to be a herpetologist. i would also buy a nice house a nice car and all of my snakes back.

LISA127
08-07-03, 01:02 PM
BTW, how much is this in us dollars?

spyderman
08-07-03, 01:07 PM
NO WAY! My snakes are my Babies. I love animals. I wouldn't give up my Mum, Dad, Wife or kids for any amount of money, so why would I give up my "Pets" who are as much a part of my family & life

fateamber
08-07-03, 01:34 PM
NO! I could not imagine anyone else having them i could never sell them, if i did it would drive me insane by constantly worrying if they are ok and if the new owner is looking after them.

ohh_kristina
08-07-03, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry to say that I would take the money. I love my herps, but I am starting college this month and barely have enough money left from tuition and books to buy ANYTHING. And it's only going to get worse. I am going to a Community College, which is about $800 a semester. That's four semesters in total. Then a University, where it's like a couple grand per semester, that's 8 - 16 semesters (depending on what I choose to go for). That is a lot of money. I'm going to spend the rest of my life paying back student loans and crap. I could definately use 1,000,000 dollars...*sigh*

But anyway, I could never live my life without any herps at all, so even if I did sell them for a million dollars, they wouldn't be my last herps.

drewlowe
08-07-03, 01:43 PM
lisa i understand how you feel and i am in no way judging anyone on this thread. Just as you would never sell your dog i could not do the same to my reptiles. And your right i don't have kids so i don't have the same presures you do (nor do i want them). I don't plan on ever having kids (at least i hope not) So my reptiles are my kids therefore i couldn't sell them for any amount of money. Now on the other hand my boyfriend would. LOL but not if he couldn't get more reptiles. But if he did sell them i would just take his money and get them back. and beat the crap out of him. lol

LISA127
08-07-03, 02:00 PM
Drew,
Never have kids? God, does that sound good! lol j/k. If u don't ever plan on having kids, I don't blame u then. If I didn't have kids, I would never let my reptiles go, either. It's only the kids that have made money as important as it is. If I didn't have them, my lizards, cats, and dog would all stay with me, living in the car if I had to, before I gave them up. (Altho I don't think lizards would last long living in the car). My point is, the dog is most attached and dependent on me, therefore she would never go. I couldn't do that to her. It ruins a dog emotionally to be abandoned. My lizards I would part with for the money because they aren't attached. As long as their needs are met, they're happy.

Alex
08-07-03, 02:15 PM
i wouldnt ..cause i have more money in snakes than a $1000 dollars

LISA127
08-07-03, 02:18 PM
It's not $1000 we're talking about. I'm not sure exactly how much it is, because I don't know how to convert it to US dollars. But it's a lot more than $1000. I don't think any of us would give up our herps for $1000.

CDN-Cresties
08-07-03, 02:27 PM
I love my herps to much to sell them. :D

-Steve-

alex_33
08-07-03, 02:42 PM
Alex, Its a million ($1 000 000) not a thousand :p

eyespy
08-07-03, 02:52 PM
Absolutely not!! I recently came to a hard decision and sold some of my pets due to pressure from my landlord and the high costs of running a reptile rehab. I enjoy taking in rescues far too much to continue spending money on so many pets.

I sold them for an absolute pittance because I found somebody I could trust to care for them even better than I can as he breeds his own feeders and has a varied menu available. I could have tried to sell them to the highest bidder but that's just not for me. Finding a terrific home is the most important thing in my book.

Invictus
08-07-03, 03:06 PM
Hell yeah I would. I love my herps like they were my own children, but the bottom line is, THEY AREN'T my children. You would never, no matter if you offered me a billion, get me to sell my goergeous 9 year old daughter. But in the end, pets are pets. A million dollars means never having to worry about anything ever again. I want you all to keep something in mind, here folks... the INTEREST alone on that sum of money could have you living comfortably, with zoo-sized enclosures for the retics, anacondas, and whatever else you wanted.... get the most expensive ball pythons alive and breed them. You would never worry about anything ever again.

And of course I would miss my babies... but that doesn't mean I couldn't fall in love all over again with a new set of babies. Think about that....

Lizzy001
08-07-03, 03:14 PM
no..im 14!

stretch
08-07-03, 03:16 PM
I would sell them in a heart beat for a million dollars. You must be crazy in your head if you wouldn't sell them.

NewLineReptile
08-07-03, 03:17 PM
"SHOW ME THE MONEY"

Brandon

Oliverian
08-07-03, 05:38 PM
I would. Even if I had more expensive herps I would sell them. Don't get me wrong, I love my reptiles. But a million is a lot, and i'm still young. I'll have lots of chances to get more reptiles. Lol, drelowe, I agree, I'm never having kids. Even though I'm only 14, thats one thing I will never do. Talk to me in 40 years and I still won't have had kids. :p ~TR~

Clownfishie
08-07-03, 08:40 PM
For $1,000,000? Yeah, I'd have to say that I would -- that's an awful lot of money... if I could be sure that they were going to good homes, I'd do it. I could pay off my student loans, my visa, get myself a car & a nice big house with lots of room for my zoo ;) And I'd be able to afford any herp that I wanted, and they could all have their own little herp mansions... lol.

Seriously, I love my herps -- some I'm more emotionally attached to than others -- but that much money makes a huge difference in your life -- I don't see how anybody could realistically turn it down...

asphyxia
08-07-03, 09:12 PM
In a wink of an eye.

Brian

marisa
08-07-03, 09:23 PM
Not to mention, even if you LOVE your herps and they are like your life, then a person should realize what a million dollars can do!

I would take the money and buy property first off. Get buildings done up, a greenhouse or two, some enclosures, all the neat stuff you would need...and then start taking in unwanted herps. You couldn't keep tons but a good number with that kind of money. I know I'd have a HUGE indoor RES pond! :D

Marisa

burmer
08-07-03, 09:52 PM
I'm attached to them of course. But it would be crazy not to take the cash for them. With that much money I could buy the collection of my dreams along with the house of my dreams. I'd also be able to build a nice huge reptile house on the property. This topic reminds me of playing the lottery and imagining what you would do with the money when you win it.

Lisa
08-08-03, 08:06 PM
I couldn't do it. some of them yes, but not all.

lilyskip
08-08-03, 08:20 PM
i would definitely do it. there's a lot you can buy for $1,000,000

LadyHawke
08-09-03, 12:38 AM
just that every one knows i am 32 and a single mother of a 10 yr old and have been since my son was 18 months old
my collection of reptiles is not worth a million dollars, so why would someone pay you that amount of money unless they wanted to control reptiles
call me stubborn (I am an aries after all), but i do know the value of a dollar, probably more so because of being a single parent.
i will not take handouts, i will work for what i get, i own my own business and i like what i do. i am satisfied with the way life is treating me....i had to work very hard for this.
a million dollars for reptiles that arent worth that much is a handout

JD@reptiles
08-10-03, 12:37 AM
i love my animals.
I love taking care of them.
I am so attached to them.
I enjoy them.
I'll take the million thanks

TheRedDragon
08-10-03, 02:03 AM
I said no, because I really believe that each individual snake that I have has its own personality, and, no amount of money can replace that. They're like family to me, and I wouldn't give them up for the world.

Moe
08-10-03, 09:32 AM
I wouldnt give mine up....considering how much herps I have....to feed/house/vet bills/clean/ them alone would cost more than a million (in a couple of centuries)..........

snakelover111
08-14-03, 05:01 PM
srry but i woud buy other stuff

sapphire_moon
08-14-03, 06:07 PM
I said no....Money may buy me things that could possibly make me happy........but my herps make me happy, and there is not another one in the world with their personalities. I guess I say that because they are my babies, almost like my children (I don't have any) and I could not do that......today I was forced to give up two of my babies..(birds....cockatiels)....and I totally lost it! I couldn't live without them...for me my animals and herps have been the only constant stream of unconditinal (sp?) love that I have gotten all my life.....