PDA

View Full Version : Mink frog or not? Help!!

danh
08-04-03, 08:18 PM
I am sort of ashamed to say that I cannot identify this frog. I found it sitting on a lily pad (first time I've ever actually seen a frog doing this!) in a pond. There was a male of similarly conspicuous form and colour close by, sitting on another lily pad. I know this is not a green frog, but for the life of me cannot decide whether it is a bull or a mink. Look at the dorsolateral folds, you say? Well, frankly, I cannot tell whether this frog has the folds! Help!!!

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1768frog2-med.jpg

I took some other pics of the various herps (and one cool non-herp) I found over the weekend, which can be found in my gallery, here (http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1768&cat=500&thumb=1).

I also saw bull and leopard frogs, but got no good shots of them.

dan

Jeff_Favelle
08-04-03, 08:35 PM
Those are some FANTASTIC photos you have taken man. Quite talented with the camera!!

danh
08-05-03, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Jeff! By the way, be careful when you're field herping. I turned over a log only to find a wasp's nest!

dan

Stockwell
08-06-03, 12:27 PM
Dan, that's a young green frog, not a mink

Beejay
08-06-03, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by danh
Thanks, Jeff! By the way, be careful when you're field herping. I turned over a log only to find a wasp's nest!

dan

LMAO

And you laughed at ME for when I stuck my hand in one on the Toronto Islands with Jordan and Daan! hahaha

By the way, nice pics. ;)

Bj

Nicky
08-06-03, 08:49 PM
awsome pic but i guess you already got your question answered whenever i try and get close enough to take a pic of a frog it always hops away good job i guess i just suck at taking pics lol

danh
08-06-03, 10:30 PM
Thanks for your help Roy, but it is definitely not a green frog. Green frogs have banding on the legs, even the juvies have it, though it may be almost unnoticable unless your are looking for it. That frog definitely does not have any banding on the legs.

dan

Jeff Hathaway
08-07-03, 06:34 AM
Dan, I do believe you have found a mink frog. I assume you saw it while up north this weekend. Given the hind leg blotches (not bands), lack of prominent dorsolateral folds (which may be present or partially developed in minks, BTW), and the webbing on the toes of the hind foot, I think it is safe to say you can add this species to your life-list...

Did you notice any odour when you picked it up?

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

danh
08-07-03, 10:59 AM
Jeff: I never actually picked the frog up. I shooed it directly into the critter pal, and then just let it go by opening the lid and letting it jump back onto its pad. Interestingly, the frog just hopped calmly back onto her pad, she didn't dive into the water or anything. And no, the only abnormal smell was that of gasoline, emanating from the pond itself.

I'll add it to my list, but I missed by goal species, the pickerel frog! Mink frogs don't excite me very much, but a pickerel frog, now that would be cool!

Nicky: To photograph frogs I use a critter pal. I slowly move the clear base in front of the frog, and I use the lid to give the frog a gentle push on its rear so it hops into the base. Then I quickly reattach the two parts, and you have a captured frog ready for photographs.:cool:

Bj: I was lucky. I took off immediately and headed straight for the nearest cottage. I only ended up with one sting, and the people we were visiting had a topical local anesthetic that worked very well.

Thanks for all your help.

dan

JD@reptiles
08-10-03, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Beejay
LMAO

And you laughed at ME for when I stuck my hand in one on the Toronto Islands with Jordan and Daan! hahaha

By the way, nice pics. ;)

Bj

IT WAS REALLY FUNNY :D, Bud i flipped a log on pelee island and it was a wasp nest, i almost died of fright, i have never seen so many wasps before in my life! its bad enough that they sting, they dont have to fly too :mad: GRRRRRR

And it looks like a mink frog to me to, dan

Jordan:p

Dozer
08-11-03, 09:50 AM
Female Mink. The blotches on the hind legs dont always indicate a mink frog... for the fact that some of my green frogs have blotches, rather then bands :) Nice catch... Nice adult :) I suppose the amount of green in it threw you off huh ;)