PDA

View Full Version : Define field herper

SCReptiles
08-04-03, 03:17 PM
For years I was called a snake hunter, then everyone started to call us snake hunters, field herpers. Now when I use that term, some tell me that I am not a field herper, I am a snake hunter. This turn of events baffles me. So, out of pure curiosity, I would like to know everyone's definition of a field herper? Thanks

Siretsap
08-04-03, 03:24 PM
What I think of a field herper is someone who will go out and make a study on the type and ratio of species that live in a certain location without keeping them after their capture. I would say you are a snake hunter since you catch and keep your reptiles.

Siretsap
08-04-03, 03:30 PM
Lololol, waiting on a reply from you, you always have something to add
:-p

Removed_2815
08-04-03, 04:23 PM
When the prospect of turning this wood over to photograph (or admire on site) whatever lurks underneath excites you.......
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1295wood.jpg
.....then you are a certifiable field herper. I like to think that field herping should always contribute, in some way, to furthering the science of herpetology. If you are collecting animals from the wild for personal use then I don't constitute this as field herping. Take only photographs, or, if you have the proper authority (as is the case with our research team), morphometric measurements and non-destructive tissue samples.
Incidentally, here is what lurked beneath.
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1295skink.jpg
Cheers

Stockwell
08-04-03, 04:39 PM
Yup, I agree with Siretsap and RMB! It's all about the science and biology and herp exploration, not exploitation
Actually I consider myself a field herper.
Chester-field, that is! LOL
Hats off to those brave folks that don't mind being up their eyeballs, in muck , leaches and
West Nile carriers. Someone has to do it.

Swampwalker
08-04-03, 05:51 PM
Well said RMBolton. Nice skink, I found a couple the other day but didn't get any video because it was raining and I needed to change tapes.

LOL Roy, I like that "Chester-field herper"

Jeff Hathaway
08-04-03, 08:01 PM
I think Ryan's first sentence says it all. I don't think field herping always has to further the interests of science- sometimes it's just fun! Also, field herping can contribute to habitat restoration or conservation without any 'science' involved.

Personally, I don't think that *occasional* collection for personal use (where legal) is contrary to field herping, as long as such use is for some sort of educational or other purpose that furthers the interests of conservation.

Saw a few skinks myself (~15) on the weekend, plus a big ribbon, a huge brown, a garter, and plenty of anurans to boot.

One of these days we'll get Roy out in the mud:-)

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

RaVeNo888o
08-04-03, 08:06 PM
i would consider a field herper in the most basic sense, someone who goes out in nature and looks for herps, catches them, then releases them. i dont think you have to be getting info to be a field herper, i see that as just a higher form of field herping.

Removed_2815
08-04-03, 10:04 PM
I think the little boy/girl out in the field chasing his/her first garter snake to find out if snakes really are slimy or not is the definition of a field herper in it's most basic form. It is not necessary the advancement of science but whenever the question "why" is answered, it is science. Whether you learn something new and never tell a soul or have a paper published, it's all science and is always a valuable learning experience. So long as your motives are unselfish, you are a field-herper. Have fun, you never know what you'll find!
Cheers,
R

Removed_2815
08-04-03, 10:11 PM
Don't forget ticks Roy....:)
I had more hassle from ticks than anything else this summer. A few times a day I would strip down in the field remove up to 10 ticks, check my clothes to ensure they were tick-free, get dressed and watch 3 or 4 more crawl out of my clothes again.
I don't like the ticks....
R

marisa
08-04-03, 10:23 PM
I feel a field herper is a person who goes out to find reptiles to further education. I don't feel personal collecting, or collecting for re-sale to be "field herping" You don't call a hunter a field expert on animals, you call him a hunter. And an expert on animals wouldn't be called a hunter. So it makes sense to me that a field herper is interested in education and learning while someone who just takes the snakse for whatever reason is a collector IMHO.

Marisa

Smilts
08-05-03, 01:35 AM
i think herping is herping catching or taking pics if your in a field your field herping. That doesnt mean either way is wrong or right there just differant catagories of the same thing

snakehunter
08-05-03, 07:16 PM
i consider myself a field herper. when ever i catch something i measure it wheigh it, note the location, any notable characteristics, time of day, weather, and stuff like that.

SCReptiles
08-06-03, 04:22 PM
i consider myself a field herper.
Better change your name. =)

snakehunter
08-06-03, 04:47 PM
He he. guess so, Chuck. thats just what some people in my neighbor hood call me. besides, a name is just a name right? i dont care what others call, or think of me anyways!
-Jacob

Jeff Hathaway
08-07-03, 06:46 AM
Ryan, I LOVE your definition of science! Very nicely said, and with that definition I am definitely with you.

Marisa, while I agree with you about the collecting for re-sale aspect (something I strongly disapprove of, to say the least), I think the rest depends on how you define personal collecting and education. Is collecting a garter to keep and observe in captivity not educational? What about collecting for use in an educational program?

This highlights the problem with trying to 'name something' and put it in a category when the boundaries might actually be quite blurry.

For example, many hunters are actually field experts on animals, and many field experts on animals are also hunters...

Cheers,

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!