PDA

View Full Version : black,dalmation,and silver mollies

snakelover111
08-02-03, 09:40 PM
any body breed these? i got a male and female of all types of mollies. fo my new tank anyone know what to feed hatchlings?

Pia
08-16-03, 12:54 PM
Most pet stores sell fry food that is similar to regular food but is more nutritionally concentrated. You can also use flake food ground into small pieces. Baby brine shrimp is good. You can buy it frozen or hatch it yourself. There are other things you can feed as well which aren't as readily available. You can buy cultures of microworms on line and you can also hatch mosquito larvae in warm weather. Put a container of water outside and put some plants in it. Mosquitos will lay their eggs here which hatch into larvae which you can collect and feed. Mollies will eat their own young as will other fish in the tank so it is best to raise them in a separate tank if you can. If not, provide lots of shelter in the way of fine leaved plants. For live plants, java most is good,, it isn't hard to grow and provides excellent cover for the fry. If you go with plastic there are ones called "Rootscrapers" (brandname) that are very dense and provide good cover. Hope this helps. Good luck :-)

snakelover111
08-16-03, 10:26 PM
thx pia ;)

Darlene
08-17-03, 11:52 AM
I breed black & silver balloon mollies; amongst other things. I feed regular tropical flakes crushed up small & sinking shrimp pellets. My fry stay in the same tank as the adults. I provide hollow log type hides & dense plants for shelter. I have a good success rate; only lose one very occasionally to an adult or in a filter. I provide extra aeration to my breeder tank as well. They have an oversized filter plus extra air stones. Hope this is of some help to you. Dar.