PDA

View Full Version : Dog food for fish

Oliverian
07-25-03, 08:19 PM
I know this may sound a little crazy to some of you, but I want to know if fish can do well on ground-up dog food. It has a lot of good nutrients in it, so does anyone know if it would sustain fish? The problem is that I have fish-eating snakes, and I have quite a few feeder goldfish that I raise up to the right size and then feed to the snakes. They need to eat a lot to be able to grow quickly, and fish food is getting quite expensive. I could buy a big bag of dog food for the price of two or three small containers of fish food. Does anyone know if this will work? I know goldfish eat a wide variety. Thanks for any input. ~TR~

Jeff_Favelle
07-25-03, 09:12 PM
Ha ha, funny you say that because I grew some HUGE goldfish a while back (15 years) off of crushed Mainstay!! I mean, these things were enormous!!

But it clouds the water pretty fast, and I'm not sure of the long-term health effects for long-lived fish.

BoidKeeper
07-25-03, 09:18 PM
Hey people feed dog food to their rats and mice and they feed them to their snakes.
Cheers,
Trevor

Oliverian
07-25-03, 11:51 PM
Lol, ok. These fish aren't destined to become long-lived though, because they all end up snake food in the end. Did your fish want to eat it or did they just eat it because it was the only food in there? I'm gonna try it, nothing can go wrong because if the fish die from it, i'll just give them to the snakes anyways :p. Thanks.

Pia
08-16-03, 01:05 PM
I would use trout food or pond fish food. It comes in pellets which you can crush. You can often find it in bulk at feed and pet stores. This way you can buy as little or as much as you want for much less than flake food.

Oliverian
08-16-03, 10:33 PM
I'll check it out. :) Thanks.