PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Plecos

Lizzy
07-10-02, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know if Zebra Plecos are going onto an endangered species list or something like that and that they wouldn't be available to the pet trade soon? Someone at work...the chain fish buyer...seems to think so. I know they're rare, but I didn't think that it was entirely true. What are your thoughts?

Lizzy

:w

Geck-co
07-10-02, 09:51 PM
I knew they where rare and hard to come by but I never heard about them being taken off the market who knows?

very nice pelco's though.... I would get one but my fish would eat him LoL

Shane Tesser
07-10-02, 11:32 PM
It could be that they are on the endangered list but i would highly doubt it. This fish in my opinion are not really highly sought after. While they are beautiful they are perhaps one of the most shy fish you will ever keep. They are nocturnal, really finiky eaters and always hide. In their natural habitat they live twenty to thirty feet down so they will not eat algae to my knowledge as at those depths none would be present. I kept one years ago but rarely saw it and after about two years i sold him/her. I don't believe that they are being captive bred either. So that, combined with its difficulty in catching, high prices, and lack of demand for a fish that mainly wants a diet of zuccini and zuccini only is probably why no one can find them. I think ive only ever seen them a couple of times for sale anyway. I believe i paid like a hundred bucks or so..........years ago, hard to remember, hope this helps.:)

backdraft1320
07-11-02, 08:44 AM
I done a search last night and yes there still going for a hundred
bucks little pricey for me but they look cool!

PetCrazy
07-27-02, 06:01 PM
A friend of mine just got one for 50 canadian...
neat fish...