PDA

View Full Version : not really herps, but just as cute

snakehunter
07-24-03, 07:49 PM
taday we found these guys in my front yard. they were soooooo cute, they aren't as soft as you would think, but i still wanted to keep one. unfortunately some one called the animal control, and now everyone that touched them has the possibility of rabies infection! she also said that they all would be put to sleep!!!!!!! i felt so bad for the little guys.
-Jacob

Bencb3
07-24-03, 07:59 PM
aww, thats so sad, if they wernt infected i would want one

Nanashi04
07-24-03, 08:07 PM
:(

RaVeNo888o
07-24-03, 08:13 PM
what are they? i cant see clearly

Wrath
07-24-03, 08:29 PM
look like racoons...

LadyHawke
07-24-03, 08:32 PM
if they were really FOR the animals they would put them in an isolated quarantine instead of destroying them and give them at least half a chance, there are signs for rabies that they could wait for, and if they showed it, then humanely put them down before they suffer. also if they are afraid it was rabies they will make you get a series of needles....if they don't make you seek medical attention...that would make me wonder....

snakehunter
07-25-03, 05:48 PM
yep, baby 'coons

Siretsap
07-25-03, 05:53 PM
That is soo stupid from their part.
The percentage of racoons having rabies is still quite low. I wouln't be surprised if we have more chances of seeing a cat with rabies than a racoon with rabies.

Sean_.E.
07-25-03, 07:40 PM
I am pretty sure you dont have rabies unless you got bitten!

snakehunter
07-26-03, 09:24 AM
well in recent events rabies has become quite rampant in the racoon population in my county, and the comunity would like to keep the numbers down being that rabies has no cure, and is fatal. this does not mean isupport the killing of these babies!

oh, and they came up negative for rabies (whew) one bit me, but the skin wasn't broken, and i will not take that chance again (smacking forehead w/ palm)

Cas
07-26-03, 09:42 AM
Raccoons can carry rabies for years without developing symptoms - that's one of the main reasons that they can't be kept as pets in a lot of places.

Were these baby raccoons actually in trouble in your yard?

Dawn