PDA

View Full Version : Escaping Python

Pythonian
07-10-02, 07:27 AM
My Kali every night tries all night long to escape from her cage, she climbs vertically up the wall presson on the top of her cage, and she tries to go under the substrate to dig out, is there any way I can make her happier in there so she doesn't want to escape so bad?

CMR
07-10-02, 10:13 AM
Ball Python are nocturnal animals, meaning they mostly sleep throw the hot days in Africa and come out in the cooler evening searching for food. So she could be just resting during the day and when night comes around her instincts kick-in and she is up and about…

Or it could just be her personality… All ball python have his/her own personality. Some are biters some arrant. Some are finicky eaters and some arrant and so on… In my colony of 76 ball pythons only two females continuously try to get out.. One of the two females I purchased about 2 years ago from a local family, she was estimated to be about 10+ year old and has been active ever since the day I got her. I breed her this pass season for the first time and since laying her first clutch of 12 eggs, here personality has totally changed… I guess she has been ready/wanting to breed for some years now and just couldn’t take it anymore when she sensed other males in my rack system…:D I will breed the other female this coming season so we will have to see if the behavior is similar… I never really researched this behave but I’m monitoring it.

If your cage hot-spot is around 82-88 degrees and you keep it clean with fresh water... I don’t think you should have a problem… You can always add a hide box or if the cage is big enough you can put in a branch just for cosmetic purposes. You never know she might hang out on it…:) Also if you just purchased her, she could just be checking out her new home… But then again you could just have a hipper active ball python…

I hope this eases your mind a bit…

Good Herpin,
CMR