PDA

View Full Version : Glass or Acrylic?

GYMRAT2B
07-09-02, 12:33 AM
Okay, so this ongoing cage building project that my buddy's helping me with should have been done this past weekend, but it's not.

I wanted a black melamine 4-cage tower with the insides of each cage being white so that it would be easier seeing the animals. Well, we couldn't find the black melamine so we decided to paint the outside in black using an oil-based paint. Everything is complete except for one thing. The double sliding doors. We went to a couple of glass places and we were quoted $42 per set. We went scouting for scrap glass and we can't find it. I need to have this cage done by this weekend because I have a shipment of boas I'm picking up this weekend and my current cages are filled to the brim with ball pythons.

So, I stopped at the nearby Home Depot and did a double take on Acrylic. I know it's lighter and shatter-proof but I also know that it's hell when it gets scratched. Now, I know I'm careful with my things so I doubt any scratching will come from me. Are most folks against using it for the same reason? If I use the really thick acrylic, will the snake be able to scratch it?

What do you think?

Quervo
07-09-02, 02:55 AM
I doubt very much the snake will scratch it, but depending on how it is fitted in the tracks, the snake might be able to bend it.

I know with mine I had to reinforce the edge because my BP could just push the two pieces apart and get out.

PythonGuy
07-09-02, 05:08 AM
Hi there
I know that near where I live, there is a Habitat for Humanity store that sells used household stuff that you can pick up at a very decent price. This is where I go to get my glass. I picked up a few panes (I got 3 of them) 5'x4' for $10 Canadian each. At my local hardware store, the guy charged me $1.50 per cut and he polished it for me as i don't have a grinder.
All you may have to do, is either cut it youself (REMEMBER TO BUFF THE EDGES SO IT SLIDES PROPERLY!!!!), or, take it to a glass place to have it cut to size.
I am sure that you sill save a lot of money, and that your enclosure will be escape proof. (Nothing worse than trying to find a baby boa!!!! -- I would take some of them Balls off of you if you wanted, then you will have all kinds of room -- LOL)
Good luck, and I hope that this will help you if you have a Habitat stor near you.

Dom
07-09-02, 06:45 AM
If done properly, acrylivc can be made escape proof..

but scratch proof it almost out of the question .. I garantee it won't be the snake scratching it .. it will be things like branches.. or even simply while washing your windows...

After a while it won't look that great..

take care
Dom

PythonGuy
07-09-02, 07:39 AM
I read my reply to you just now -- wow, sorry about the spelling errors -- that was really early thismorning. :eek:
From now on, I better preview them ;) LOL
Again, good luck with your project :)

GYMRAT2B
07-09-02, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys.

My buddy got back to me this morning and he said he did stop at Home Depot and finally figured out that glass would be much cheaper. You see, he's building this not just for me but as a calling card so that he can start a hobby/business in making cages.

I will have my cages by Sunday after all (I'll be at the IRBA all day Saturday)!!!!!!

:D

Jeff_Favelle
07-09-02, 09:49 PM
And make sure to post pics when they are done!!!

Jotun
07-10-02, 08:36 AM
yeah! so there! :p