PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned litter!

Linds
07-08-02, 07:45 AM
All yesterday one of my female rats was in labor, I thought the babies were stuck (this was going on for over a day and she looked VERY rough), but late last night she managed to get them out, but they were strewn about the cage, some were buried, none of them were cleaned off at all, she was having alot of trouble. Anyways, coudlnt stay up any longer so I went to bed, woke up this myorning to find that all the babies were indeed alive, still not cleaned and freezing cold (except one which was in the other mothers pile of fourteen 2+ week old babies). I tried to plop her down on her babies but it doesnt look like there is any hope. What can be done? I was thinking of weaning the babies a little bit earlier (there ears are up and they are eating fine) in hopes that the other mom will completely take over the mommy duties. This is the last litter for the poor girl, she obviously can't do this anymore. Hope I can place her somewhere for retirement, would really prefer not to kill her :(

morph
07-08-02, 10:40 AM
hey linds I would try and do exactly what you said and wean a little early and hand over the new babies. Not sure if you use it or not but it could be a huge help this time soy milk would help them get through through the early weaning just give them another water bottle but use soy milk in it. If they are already eating they should pull through fine.

good luck

ReneeB
07-08-02, 11:04 AM
Linds,

one of my females did the same thing, but it was her first litter. I just put the newborns in with the other mothers litter and take the older ones away. You might have to bottle feed the older ones for a bit. You can find a kitten/puppy nurser at most pet shops [don't you work in one?]

It worked for me.

Linds
07-08-02, 11:22 AM
I weaned all the other females litter, except I left one female behind. I think they will be fine, they are eating and drinking with the other rats now. I work in a reptile store so no warmblooded stuff there, but I do have some small animal milk replacement at home, I really don't think they will be needing any though. They wouldve been ready to go in a few days anyways :) Havent had any luck with the other female helping out though. At least when I was trying to unstick a pinky from a dead pinky the mom came and did the job for me. But for the most part they are all still cold and unclean. I have been checking every hour, making minor adjustments (moving pinkies to other mothers, or to where her remaining baby is, etc). I don't see much hope unfortunately. Which is very unfortunate since I don't have anything that is feeding on rat pinks :(

Joe
07-08-02, 02:05 PM
are these just food for your snakes? I dont understand the fuss why not freeze the babies and retire mom, im sorry but bottle feeding your feeders!!!! c'mon

ReneeB
07-08-02, 04:13 PM
well if they do end up dying you can always feed them to your herps.. I know it would be a SMALL mouthful compared to bigger rats but it's better than wasting them :)

I did that with a litter I lost.. I went shopping for two hours and came back to a litter of 12 of which only 5 were alive :( I just fed the stillborns to my amel that laid eggs 2 weeks ago.. she downed most of them.

Best of luck to you!

Linds
07-08-02, 06:36 PM
Joe and Melissa,
The fuss is that there is nothing I hate more than to waste anything, especially lives. I am not about to bottle feed them, nor can I throw them in the freezer since none of my snakes eat anything that small. Even if I fed the entire litter (8) to one snake it still wouldnt be equal to one meal, so that is kinda outta the question.

ReneeB,
Tonight it looks like she's taking care of 2 of them now, so maybe there is hope for the rest. I really hate wasting...... :confused:

Joe
07-08-02, 07:00 PM
would you not be able to sell them to the store you work at, or trade for larger?

Linds
07-08-02, 09:28 PM
I never thought of that. I might be able to sell them to the store I work at. Thanks :)