PDA

View Full Version : Red Belly Pirahna

OttawaChris
07-17-03, 08:09 AM
Just looking for anyone else that keeps these... because I have a nagging problem!

He tends to make quite a mess in his tank, and I can't seem to find any "cleaners" that he doesnt attack and eat LOL

So far I have tried shrimp, snails and suckers but all have been devoured.

Anyone else have any success with a bottom feeder to clean the tank?

corr
07-17-03, 12:39 PM
My only suggestion would be MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails). They have a VERY hard shell, possibly hard enough to withstand your Pirahna's chomp. They'll eat leftover food as well as algae.

HTH

OttawaChris
07-17-03, 05:11 PM
Thanks! I will try and get the pet shop to order some in.

emerglife
07-28-03, 08:12 PM
i had six Pirahna and i used apple snails (big ones) never had a problem

AnOle
08-27-03, 06:27 PM
i have 12 pirahna and i just seperate half the tank once a month and throw in a crap load of cats, pleco's and black mystery snails. also i always have a huge black mystery snail in there.

Brad,

geckoguy157
09-03-03, 01:11 AM
dont leave plecos in with any of those fish eating fish my oscars managed to kill them off i think i have one finaly big enough that they cant kill

SteveG
09-16-03, 02:55 PM
i have a red breasted piranha and he also just kills everything that i put in ummm the best thing to do is just clean the tank more often!

JeffT
09-16-03, 03:08 PM
When I kept one I used a steel rod with a sponge attached to the end that can take the chomping. Actually I think thats exactly what they are maqde for, you can buy them at most petstores.

Geck-co
09-22-03, 08:32 AM
When I used to keep P's I would use small pl*co's. King Tiger Pl*co worked great for me. You never saw him, nor did the P's. This even worked with the more agressive S.Rhombeus and S. spilopleura and S. medinei. It is also key to make sure you give hiding places for your pl*co to hide in. Another pl*co you can try when dealing with younger P's is a sailfin, they are bigger and I have seen a sailfin fend off attacks from younger P's. Creyfish may work as well, but eventually the P's will get them.

Best of luck -
Adam