PDA

View Full Version : Scum suckers!

Youkai
07-06-02, 09:42 PM
Alright, a challenge for you all! List the ways you have heard various algae eaters, plecos or bottom feeders, etc pronounced. Or nick names, or other silly things people (coughcustomerscough) call these fish!

And, at this point, I'd like to mention how frustrating it is that everyone and his dog thinks that these fish (and snails!) eat crap.

ahem.

Anyway!

I have some interesting ones...
1. scum suckers
2. Mr. uglies (in reference to plecos)
3. plemomus
4. precromoose (I'll never forget that one!)
5. "Those damn ugly sh** eaters"
6. crapfish

There are more, with variations of the ways to say pleco, but I can't remember them all! I remember precromoose so well because I almost killed myself laughing. Oops... ;)

Geck-co
07-06-02, 11:08 PM
hahahahhah thats to funny...never heard any wierd names for em be4 but i have heard of people thinkin they actually eat crap LOL

Shane Tesser
07-08-02, 11:20 AM
The only one that i can remember that i found really funny at the time was once when i was in a store, a guy asked for a mustach catfish. The guy working at the store was just as confused as i was. The guy then said, you know the ones that hang on the glass with the big sucker mouth and have a little mustach on both sides. He then noticed one in a display tank behind him and said oh there they are. lol.

corr
07-08-02, 03:24 PM
I haven't heard any names for Plecos as unique as those. One thing that really gets on my nerves though, is everyone calling any type of suckermouth an "algae eater". Whether it's a pleco, an oto, or an actual Algae Eater. "Chinese or Siamese, ma'am?". Sheesh.

And NO, THEY DON"T EAT CRAP! LOL! It kills me when someone puts a "crap eater" in their tank and ends up with, you guessed it... MORE CRAP! :p

Lizzy
07-10-02, 09:33 PM
Yes that's right! Someone once asked me if I could show them where the pocolos were kept! We should do a list of names that people call cichlids! That will be a hoot!

I love talking to people who ask me "what's that fish that eats the crap?" I just say that "it's not a fish that does that, it's your beneficial bacteria!" I get lots of stunned faces when I say that...my boss sometimes laughs at me. Even saying that is not 100% acurate, but what can you do when most of the public are ignorant when it comes to keeping healthy aquariums.

Lizzy

:w

jakejeff
11-21-02, 04:11 PM
My father call's my pleco Big nasty

Oh Clueless 1
11-21-02, 11:26 PM
I found a pretty cool web page about proper pleco care... Just thought I would share.
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/pleco2.html

The only thing I have ever heard them referred to really is plecos or bottom feeders or sucker fish.

Big nasty... LOL

ash
11-22-02, 07:58 AM
i heard people call all bottom feeder especialy plecos '**** fish'

ash
11-22-02, 07:59 AM
that's $*!* fish

Kyle Barker
11-23-02, 03:59 AM
Ever since i can remember i have called them "miny-me's". Not sure why. I guess im one of those anoying people in the pet store asking where to find those upside down things.:)

DragnDrop
11-23-02, 02:56 PM
Let's see now.....

Glasshangers
Side Danglers
Rockfish (guess that's from the armor)
Muck skimmers

Youkai
11-23-02, 09:02 PM
In the past couple of weeks, I've heard:

- sucky fish
- ugly black things
- disk-mouth fish

But the MOST fun is the way people try to pronounce plecos....

'plecmus'
'plemostamys'
'plecamotomus'
etc...

ash
11-24-02, 11:52 PM
its funny how 'chinese algae eaters' are branded chinese when their origins are from india lolz!

Jotun
11-27-02, 11:51 AM
lawyers

Kyle Barker
11-27-02, 03:20 PM
LOL!! so true :)

kye