PDA

View Full Version : grass snakes

Smilts
07-07-03, 06:50 PM
i was just wondering where do grass snakes like to hide. All i know about them is there not in my lawn

snakehunter
07-08-03, 07:19 AM
i have heard that they like dense scrub and bushes, some hevy cover. i have had no luck myself

Smilts
07-08-03, 10:51 AM
theres only a few wild snakes i want a grass snake , a Tx blind snake and a garter. no luck on any of them yet. but i thank you for the advice

Hamster of Borg
07-08-03, 11:18 AM
They hide in Europe, no species of grass snake in Texas. :)

Checkered garters and western ribbons should be pretty easy to find though. Look near water sources, slow moving streams, ponds, etc. Blacknecked garters are a bit more elusive, but they're around your area too I believe.

Blind snakes are a bit trickier, look under everything. They live in the mulch layer and most people would think they were an earth worm long before they'd ever think snake if they saw one. I'm not sure why you'd want one, what would you feed it? I can see going out and digging up fresh termite larvae now. :)

Ham

Smilts
07-08-03, 11:25 AM
i had a blind snake when i was younger it was neat. As far as the grass snake it may not be what i think it is. What im lookin for is a small snake that is a dark green with darker green oval markings on its back. ive never seen one more than eight inchs.

Hamster of Borg
07-08-03, 11:29 AM
Did it also have a yellow/white stripe all the way down the middle of the back? If so, sounds like a checkered garter (Thamnophis marcianus) (http://www.ravnos.org/photos/colubrids/checkers5.jpg).

Ham

Smilts
07-08-03, 02:01 PM
that looks alot like it but it was darker green and the spots were bigger i dont remember the tripe but its been awhile since ive seen one thats probably it

snkmn
07-21-03, 12:53 PM
they should probly be in the grass jk. i dont know. sorry