PDA

View Full Version : chances of surviving ich/whitespot??

XxRachxX
07-01-03, 12:07 PM
howdy.... i feel like im hogging the forum by asking so many god damn questions.... and posting useless crap.... sorry!

at the lfs today they had two goooorgeous green tiger barbs.. but they were really goreous bright bright green with lil pink bits:) ive never seen these around before!
i wanted to buy one, because the other one who was with him was bullying him:) aaww...
i was "inspecting" them and i noticed they had whitespot! NOOO!:rolleyes: if i were to buy one (at a discounted price though mind you) what would the odds be that the fish survive? and i could "nurse" him back to health?

thanks

Tim and Julie B
07-01-03, 12:12 PM
Don't take the chance. It could spred to the rest of your fish. You could end up losing all your fish. Don't risk it. If you have a quarintine tank then you could buy it and treat it. Sounds like iche.

XxRachxX
07-01-03, 12:37 PM
i was going to put it in a quarrentine tank anyway!! would it be difficult to treat? or is it relatively easy to deal with??
is it lethal at all?

Tim and Julie B
07-01-03, 01:18 PM
It can be lethal but as long as you treat it quickly it may recover. It is up tp you simply because I do not know how rare they are the UK. Meds for ich are relitively inexpensive. A quarintine tank is a VERY good idea! I have had fish recover and some die so it depends on how bad it is already.

Shane Tesser
07-01-03, 04:26 PM
Many commercial meds for white spot...if your going to get a disease on a fish...this is the one to have as it is probably the most easily cured! I use a quarentine tank and a product called AquaSol. But there is many other brands available. The secret is to raise the temp and do the dose. In the case of aquasol, their dosage amounts is very accurate. Some other meds you may have to doulbe dose. If the fish is covered like crazy...i wouldnt buy it either...there could be damage to the body that will leave open sores. If it is one or two dots, personally i would buy it (but ive been at this for a long time). For a tiger barb, raise the temp to about 80-83 (do this gradually) and dose according to the mfgs instructions. Good luck...and the quarrentine tank is a great idea!!! :D :D :D

XxRachxX
07-01-03, 05:49 PM
thanks alot guys:)
the fish didnt have 1 or two dots... it was a few more, but it was no where near "covered like crazy" as shane put it...it would be so nice if i could cure it! ill ask my dad about it tommorow:) all i need is a heater :rolleyes: but i may be able to bribe a friend to lend me one!

Darlene
07-02-03, 12:40 PM
just remember to super-clean your friend's heater. It wouldn't be good to return the favor by giving it back with the white spot !
Let us know how it goes.

XxRachxX
07-05-03, 03:09 PM
darlene: ooh that would be bad...... but to be honest i think all of his fish died anyway!!
i went back to the store and today they were gone O_O either the people "killed" them off or someone else stole my plan!
none of my plans ever work out!! :).....:(

Darlene
07-05-03, 08:01 PM
Sorry about that. Well hopefully if you ever come across it again; which I'm sure you will; you'll be ready to act right away with the info you've gotten. Best wishes, Dar.

Herpkingdom
07-06-03, 01:40 PM
ANother point that was missed is to remove the charcoal from your filter. If using a all-in-one cartridge for most power filters, remove it. THe charcoal will filter out teh medication overnight and nullify the treatment. By removing the charcoal, you will allow the medications time to affect the illness.

XxRachxX
07-06-03, 04:26 PM
thanks anyway guys:) its much appreciated!