PDA

View Full Version : unidentifield snake

dave
06-30-03, 05:18 PM
I was fishing at lake dalrympil (sp) its just east of lake simcoe

I was fishing off of a dock when this snake came swimming by.

It was rather large probally 2 -2 1/2 feet,... well I got some pics of it..

I went to a saneks of ontario web site with many photos and non matched the pattern enough that would make me comfortable to say yes thats what it is.

Maybe you could help. If you think you would be able to identify the snake please give me an e-mail at knottyd@rogers.com or PM me and I can send you pics.

dave
07-01-03, 08:57 AM
ok so this is one of the pics of a sanke I saw. http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/3036/676snake-med.jpg

Invictus
07-01-03, 09:03 AM
Looks like a Northern Water Snake to me. They are found all over the eastern US, and in Ontario as well.

Jayson
07-01-03, 09:17 AM
northern water snake

BWSmith
07-01-03, 10:01 AM
Yup, Northern.

SCReptiles
07-01-03, 11:06 AM
I concur with the analysis. This snake is often confused with the infamous Cottonmouth, and for good reason. With both snakes covered over in mud, even an expert has trouble making to call on the fly. Of course, there are no Cottons in Canada, but for those of you further south take note of the eyes on the snake in this picture. See how the top of the head resembles an Anaconda? These true water snakes have eyes that are in close proximity to each other. Looking down on the head of a water snake, both eyes are plainly visible. This is not true of the Cotton. The eyes will be further apart and not set on top of the head, both eyes will not be plainly visible when looking down on the head of a Cotton. These also make great starter snakes for those wanting to move into venomous. They have the body and head structure of the vipers and most collected adults are very defensive.

snakehunter
07-02-03, 08:16 AM
i would also like to add that venemous species of snakes float on water, and nons are slightly submerged.

Chris Steele
07-02-03, 08:29 AM
I believe cottons also have a larger head than northerns

JD@reptiles
07-03-03, 03:56 PM
i also believe cottons aren't in canada... lol

Invictus
07-03-03, 04:14 PM
That's a pretty safe bet. :)

XxRachxX
07-08-03, 06:41 PM
are these really common?? there seem to be alot of people seeing/catching them recently.....

dave
07-09-03, 06:05 AM
first one i ever seen

snakehunter
07-09-03, 07:11 AM
yes, in my area at lest. i can go fishing in just about any place near by and catch 15 snakes, about 50% of what i see!!!

ps and they have a really bad temper and strong bite.

reptile boi
07-09-03, 09:21 AM
Yup, thats a northern alright, heres a pic i found on google http://www.scisnake.com/animals/nwater.jpg

enjoy!
Ben

Jeff Hathaway
07-10-03, 10:15 PM
Northern watersnakes are fairly common in many areas of southern Ontario. They are nearly absent from the GTA (not surprising) but they are quite abundant throughout the southern part of the Canadian Shield, the adjacent Kawartha lakes (like Dalrymple), the Bruce peninsula, and along Lake Erie.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Yve
07-18-03, 08:17 PM
the n. water in the picture is well patterned some have an obscured pattern or appear plain and dark.

snkmn
07-19-03, 04:52 PM
it looks like a northern water snake to me

snkmn
07-20-03, 12:16 AM
but i am not an expert

Bencb3
07-20-03, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by snakehunter
i would also like to add that venemous species of snakes float on water, and nons are slightly submerged.

all snakes swim, and if any one tells u that one type doesnt, they need to get their facts strait cuz its a lie, yah it looks like a northern to me