PDA

View Full Version : Snake Laws

Smilts
06-26-03, 02:39 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE LAWS FOR CATCHING AND KEEPING WILD SNAKES IN TEXAS CUSS I SAVED A GOPHER FROM A GROUP OF INMATES AT WORK AND HAVE HAD THE LITTLE FELLA FOR A MONTH HES COMFY JUST WANNA MAKE SHURE IM NOT BREAKIN LAWS:w

KrokadilyanGuy3
06-26-03, 02:19 PM
From what I know
You have to have either a fishing license and/or a hunting license to collect non-game animals. Asides from protected species and alligators.
Xain

Smilts
06-30-03, 12:59 AM
As an update, incase anyone looks and cares. In texas there ae no laws against catching and keeping non venomous snakes. However for hot snakes you have to have a permit.

Mike177
06-30-03, 10:42 AM
i do know in texas you need to have a hunting linces to cach snakes but you dont have to take the firearms safty course as long as your not discharging a rifle or bow-and-arrow

Hamster of Borg
06-30-03, 11:21 AM
No idea where you got your info from, but I do know it is wrong. In TX you have to hold a valid state hunting license to catch non-game species, including: amphibians, turtles, lizards and snakes (there is no distinction between venomous and non-venomous). Last year possession limits were 25 total animals (dead or alive), no more than 10 of a single species. I'm not sure if it has changed for this year or not, I haven't been out.

Protected species may not be taken at any time - included (but certainly not limited to) in those species is the Louisiana Pine snake, the Canebrake Rattler, the Texas Tortoise (the only tortoise species native to TX), and the Indigo Snake.

My guess is that the snake you have is a bullsnake, they are by far the most common Pituophis in TX... but if it is a Louisiana Pine, you best not let Parks & Wildlife know you have it. :)

Ham

Smilts
06-30-03, 01:24 PM
I went and talked to the guy who sells hunting and fishing licences

Smilts
06-30-03, 01:26 PM
but either way I hunt every year

Smilts
07-01-03, 12:29 AM
I went ahead ant talked to the game warden to make shure all i needed was a hunting licence, He said up to 25 unless you get a none game permit. my information was most definatly wrong and i appreciate the correction

snkmn
07-21-03, 12:56 PM
i am not sure sorry