PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

Green_Boy
06-18-03, 11:07 AM
I have an 18” BP, and put it in a 25 gal. Tank… and she uses it all.
I had been told that the tank would be way to big, but have had no problem.

I am pretty new at this, but have found that many of the ideas out there need to be tested. To many people pass on old ideas that they have never put under the gun themselves.

Don't be afraid to try your own ideas. Your snake will let you know if you are wrong!

Anyone else break with the rules and find it worked?

Big Mike
06-18-03, 12:19 PM
I don't know who told you that a 25 gal would be way too big for an 18" ball...but that does not sound like good advice to me. I feel that too big of an enclosure is almost never a concern (except when it's time for cleaning).
If the snake is given adequate hides and temps then lucky for the snake to have such a big home. Floor space is what really matters for balls and you might want to get an even bigger tank/enclosure for your snake as she reaches adult size

Good for you for doing it anyway. There is quite a lot of misinformation being given out in the herp/pet trade. It's always good to do the research yourself and get lots of opinions.

Green_Boy
06-18-03, 12:52 PM
It's that old game of the store wanting me to buy a small tank and small heating pad, and next year a larger one of each again. In about a year I intend on converting an antique sideboard into an enclosure for her. I have a 119 year old house so it will fit the decor better, plus the new enclosure will be approximately 4 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet, I am guessing that will keep her happy no matter how big she gets.

I have lots of hides for her, but after she eats she will climb up one of the gargoyles and just hang off it sunning near the heat lamp. It’s pretty cool looking actually.

tHeGiNo
06-19-03, 08:10 AM
I don't know who told you that a 25 gal would be way too big for an 18" ball...but that does not sound like good advice to me. I feel that too big of an enclosure is almost never a concern (except when it's time for cleaning).

Thats actually wrong. Whoever told you that a 25 gallon was too big for your little guy was right. Baby ball pythons stress easily, and would feel much more secure and therefore do much better in a smaller rubbermaid. It also helps keep in humidity.

I am pretty new at this, but have found that many of the ideas out there need to be tested. To many people pass on old ideas that they have never put under the gun themselves.

Trust me it has been tested :D That is why every big ball python breeder uses small rubbermaids for babies.

Don't be afraid to try your own ideas. Your snake will let you know if you are wrong!

Not necessarily. There are a lot of things which you may not notice or notice after the problem is already there, which is what we dont want. It is sometimes hard to identify a stressed snake, especially for a first time bp owner.

Big Mike
06-19-03, 08:51 AM
I really don't think that 25 gal is too big, if there are adequate places to hide. If you just put a baby ball into a tank that size without a few good places to hide...it may become stressed.

A smaller tank may be better at that size but who wants to buy a new tank every 6 months. I agree that rubbermaids are better than open top tanks because they keep in the humidity much better.

Trust me it has been tested That is why every big ball python breeder uses small rubbermaids for babies.

It's also about money. Breeders like to keep costs down so using a $2 rubber tub is better than a $40 tank.

dvs
06-19-03, 10:55 AM
Greenboy: I sugguest you measure any doorways that cage may have to pass thru.... especially in that old house. Allot of doorways aren't a whole 3 feet wide so you might have to make one of the sides about 2.5 feet.... that way if you want to move it from one room to another or move all together you won't have to take it apart. Just something to think about... I've seen it happen before.

tHeGiNo
06-19-03, 07:13 PM
It's also about money. Breeders like to keep costs down so using a $2 rubber tub is better than a $40 tank.

I will disagree with that as well. I think the cheap price is just a bonus besides all the benefits using a rubbermaid will incur. Another thing I would like to mention is that bp's do not occupy and appreciate a larger space as a coloubrid such as a cornsnake would. They will usually stay in their hide, come out on occassion at night and to go to the cooler side.

A smaller tank may be better at that size but who wants to buy a new tank every 6 months.

Like you said, rubber maids are a couple bucks. Afterwards, you can either get a bigger rubbermaid for 20 bucks or you can spend more on an aquarium. After all, isn't it the well-being of the snake that matters here? By purchasing a snake, your taking on full responsibility to keep the snake in the best possible condition ;)

Green_Boy
06-23-03, 11:08 AM
Well thanks for the advice... as is Cthulhu seems happy in the large tank. She uses 2 out of the 3 hides regularly, as well as both sets of bushes... and after she eats she will drape herself across one of the gargoyles.

And my house has huge doors! 119 year old castle... lol

Andy_G
06-23-03, 12:18 PM
Usually if ball pythons move a lot i.e. use their whole cage, they feel stressed, insecure or hungry. I just switched my 26" male bp from a 20 to a 33 gallon and he is content because he is just sleeping in his log and doing is usual peeking out of it at night.

Every snake is different but it is always best to keep them in a small container to begin with IMO, just until they get used to the new scents in your house and so on.