PDA

View Full Version : Field Herping (Lesson 1)

Lasher
06-17-03, 04:38 PM
Okay, in reading posts in this forum, I have learned that the best way to see / catch herps is by cruising on back roads. When looking in the woods, it is preferable to have a water source near by and general virgin territory W/ lots of logs, plywood or tin on the ground for the little boogers to hide under. What other tips work when you go herping? I am getting sick and tired of the little suckers laughing at my big rear end trudging through the jungle lifing 300 lb logs, rolling them over and finding one mighty termite hill.
Please advise.

Dozer
06-17-03, 06:25 PM
Buds, its more then jsut that, gotta know conditions, time of day, lcoation is important, season, blah blah blah, and trust me, not every trip will you be successfull in even finding a toad!

Firstly, tell me where about yours located :)

shaggybill
06-17-03, 10:09 PM
According to his member page, he lives in Seymour TN, which is about 10 minutes from Knoxville if I'm not mistaken. He's also about 25 minutes from the Great Smoky Mtns. There should be lots of good herpin' there. Copperheads, Timber Rattlers, good stuff like that. But if you are new to herping, then you dont want to get involved in those right away. Look, but dont touch, as my dear mother used to say to me at Wal-Mart when I was a wee little boy.

Lasher, since its summer time, the snakes will be moving mostly in the coolest hours of the day, and also alot at night. In the daytime look in the coolest places you can find. Especially if its 90 degrees outside. The things you mentioned are good things to look under. I've had great results with plywood. I've also had great results by looking under things that are hollow in the middle such as old bathtubs, upside-down canoes or boats, and barrels that they can fit under, and things of that nature.

Living in Indiana, I dont have the great herping grounds that you do, so take advantage of it. I have to do all my good hunting when I go to NC and Florida.

SCReptiles
06-18-03, 10:43 AM
Lasher, I live about 1.5 hours south of you in Chattanooga, TN. TN law is not herp friendly at all. If you ever want to come down here, I will take you out with me. I live right at the TN,GA, and AL state lines. AL law is quite friendly, you can collect anything that is not considered endangered. GA allows the collection of only venomous species. I road cruise GA and AL almost every Friday evening after work. You seem to have the basics down. Hit the roads in the morning at first light and from dusk till about midnight. Email me at Chuck@SCReptiles.com if you every want to come down here to herp.

MAN OF STEEL
06-24-03, 02:22 PM
that sounds cool man! all that area to go out in. i live in california now because i am in the marine corps and we always see rattle snakes when we are in the field. my next pay check i am going to buy a nice hook and tongs from midwesttongs.com.
i have been practicing lately with really aggresive non hot snakes
down the street at my buddies herp shop. i am getting pretty good. is there any pointers that you could give me. i am pretty new and have been out field herping once with my buddie.
we caught a sub adult central pacific rattler. thats what we belived it was. it had a little coon tail, pretty cool looking.
i would love to go to the east coast to go herping, but i am all the way in cali.