PDA

View Full Version : Algae

marisa
06-16-03, 11:32 PM
Cripes. This stupid tank has been nothing but problems. It doesn't help that my brain can't grasp the simple ideas involved with tank keeping either. But anyways I have quite the algae issue starting. Is there a small algae eating fish I can get for a ten gallon? My two shrimp just aren't cutting it! LOL

Marisa

Youkai
06-17-03, 02:34 AM
What kind of algae is it? If it's hair algae, get some flag fish...you won't have that problem again!

Shane Tesser
06-17-03, 03:41 AM
Marisa, we talked about this on chat since you posted this. It is Green slime algae. I think levels and light conditions are off..but if anyone knows a quick fix, list it here.

marisa
06-17-03, 08:10 AM
Well the problem has gotten somewhat worse since we talked about it. Also since we talked about it I have turned the light time down by two hours....and I made sure no window light is getting in. But it doesn't seem to phase it.

I did clean the edges of the glass, a few times actually...but it just grows back kinda slowly.

Marisa

corr
06-17-03, 09:09 AM
If it's cyanobacteria, the only thing that has worked for me is Erythromycin...

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15580

marisa
06-17-03, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the link to that thread.

Too bad algae isn't attractive looking eh?

*L*
Marisa

17730turtlegirl
06-17-03, 11:08 AM
I USED ALGAE AWAY FOR MY TANK AND MY POND IT COMES IN A DRY PAC WHICH MEANS YOU BUY IT FILL THE BOTTLE TO THE LINE WITH COLD WATER SHAKE IT AND THEN FILL IT THE REST OF THE WAY ITS UNDER 15 BUCKS AND WORKS LIKE A CHARM

( YOU COULD ALSO PUT YOUR FISH IN A DIFFERENT TANK FOR A DAY SCRUB THE TANK , PUT EVERY THING IN THE PROBLEM TANK EXCEPT THE FISH PUT 2-3 CUPS OF SALT AND ALL THE WATER THE TANK WILL HOLD FOR A DAY OR 2 AND LET IT SIT FOR 1 OR 2 DAYS )

Shane Tesser
06-17-03, 05:13 PM
Marisa...remember spores can exhist in filters and in lack of water changes. Before you go to chemicals which for me is always a last resort, i would up your water change intervals, slow down your amout of food. Clean the majority of your filter problem, and stick to your newer, smaller hours of running the lights. I have managed in one month time to bring my tank back from the dead of having a red algae ( black hair brush algae) which is probably the worst one out there..and i didnt use chemicals! Try water changes etc for a week or two after a good cleaning..and let us know. If all else fails, follow corrs link...that stuff works! :)

corr
06-17-03, 06:17 PM
That's the thing about cyanobateria, Shane. It's not algae at all. It thrives at all light levels and uses any kind of nutrient whatsoever. I actually read somewhere that it creates it's own food! I've battled all kinds of algae successfully with conventional (non-chemical) methods but this stuff had me beat. I agree to only use chemicals as an absolute last resort for the safety of the fish and the nitrifying bacteria but at half dose, I believe Erythromycin at 3/10 the dose to be completely safe IME, IMHO. With that said, you must treat it right the first time with Maracyn brand or it'll come back with a vengeance.

And to cover my butt, I suggest you email Duncan to find out for sure if that worked for him. :)

Shane Tesser
06-17-03, 06:39 PM
You know what corr..i thought the link was for the med..lol sorry man..i didnt even read what you wrote about the cyanobacteria!!! Yeah..your right..thats nasty stuff!!! How long has yours been gone corr?

corr
06-18-03, 05:41 AM
I've been rid of it for four or five months now. Before that, I thought I had gotten rid of it by light reduction and water changes so I gave some plants to a friend for her 10 gallon. Well she got it too! And I even soaked the plants in a mild bleach solution first just to be safe!

It's gone now from her tank too with the same erythromycn treatment.

Duncan
06-20-03, 12:19 AM
Hi All,
As Corr pointed out Marisa, I had (well not me personally, but my 66 gal aquarium) the same cyanobacteria problem a while ago (your butt is covered Corr... ) I tried all of the water change, light reduction, etc. fixes but finally admitted defeat and as a last resort used erythromycin. Within a week or so, no more problem! It hasn't resurfaced now in over a month and most importantly, my higher plants (some cryptocoryne balansae and java fern) have rebounded and are doing great . . . hopefully competing with any algae for nutrients, so I won't see a return perfomance from the cyano. Just follow the procedure outlined by Corr and I'm sure you'll have success.
Duncan

corr
06-20-03, 05:27 AM
That's great Duncan! Thanks for the feedback :)