PDA

View Full Version : Caught my first garter today!

BoidKeeper
06-16-03, 08:41 PM
Before anyone asks I put it right back in the very spot where I found it.
My first Garter!

Last year I found a snake skin under the hood of an old car across the street from my place so I decided that this was as good a place as any to look tonight and sure enough it paid off! The snake I found was much smaller then last years skin but it was no less exciting. Too bad I didn't have my digi with me this evening when I caught my first maritime garter since being a herper. Until tonight I had only ever touched one snake in the wild many years ago. I think it was a male maybe last years or maybe even two years ago it was about 1.5 feet long and about the girth of my pinkie. It had something stuck up under one of its ventral scales but I don't know what it was. It did not look like a tick or a mite but I don't want to take any chances. After andling it I thought to my self I don't think I'll ever do that again because I don't want to transmit anything into my collection. Other then mites and ticks do any of you think there is any fear of transmitting something to our collections from handling wild specimens?
Thanks,
Trevor

Vanan
06-16-03, 08:58 PM
Who knows what you could transmit. Theye would be so many other virii and endoparasites which could possibly have been transmitted if you were unlucky. A good thing to have while herping is a hand sanitizer. Kills most bacteria and hey it washes off that nasty garter musk too! lol

snakehunter
06-17-03, 08:10 AM
neat a couple of days ago i caught the largest garter i have ever seen in the wild, 37.5 inches! can you beleive it? mean thing too, it would till it got inthe right possition to get his whole mouth on me and then clamp down as hard as possible!!!!! not only did i bleed, but now i have giant bruises from the devil!!!!!

good luck on future herping expeditions.

BoidKeeper
06-17-03, 04:20 PM
Wow that's nutts! This little guy was reasonably calm, no musk or anything.
Cheers,
Trevor