PDA

View Full Version : something fishy

red bootz
06-16-03, 02:36 PM
So the weather's getting nice here, and me and the wife are out on our balcony letting the torts out for a little fun in the sun when she gets this bright idea. Let's turn the balcony into a container garden. Cool. So its off to Chapter's to buy a couple books on the subject. When I get home, I'm flipping through the pages and I come to one with a water garden. Now the whole point to this diatribe is this; I've been itching to get back into the fish hobby and was wondering if I could keep a trio of Betta splendens (one male two females) and let nature run its course. I'm thinking of planting the whole thing with some aqutic plants so there will be places for the females to hide. They'll be out only during the summer when the weather is warm so I don't believe the temperature will be a problem. Funny thing is, I've been keeping fish for ever since I could remember (even before I got into this whole herp hobby) and I've worked with and had success with a number of species of fish, freshwater, brackish and marine, but have never kept Bettas. Is this feasible? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Youkai
06-16-03, 03:04 PM
Try a different species of betta. Even in a planted tank, the males can run the females into the ground. There are a few books on bettas you can get at most pet stores that describe other bettas. And try online, too.
Personally, I'd find a species of corydoras you're partial to, and do that instead... ;)

red bootz
06-16-03, 03:15 PM
But its gotta be something I can bring in when the weather gets cold. I didn't bring any of the filtration equipment with me from Vancouver so I need a species that I can keep very simply during the darkness of winter. I don't think corydoras spp. fit that description. How about if I just kept one. Anything other than gold fish...

Youkai
06-16-03, 03:44 PM
The only thing I can think of that you might be able to swing is white cloud minnows. Even the bettas should have heat and stuff. But with a bunch of plants, and almost any temperature, white clouds will spawn...

red bootz
06-16-03, 04:11 PM
Thnx.

White clouds...cyprinids if I'm not mistaken. Not a bad idea. I'll look into those.

Youkai
06-16-03, 04:19 PM
They're nice, active little fish. Quite inexpensive, too. Also there's a gold variety that you can usually find without much searching. A nice school of those swimming around in the plants would probably be great!

17730turtlegirl
06-17-03, 11:13 AM
I DONT THINK WITH 2 FEMALE BETTAS THE MALE WILL BE THE PROBLEM I HAD 1 GIRL AND 1 MALE THE GIRL ALMOST KILLED HIM

Youkai
06-17-03, 05:15 PM
That is actually quite unusual.

And yes, the male would most likely be the problem. If you search any literature published on betta splendens, or even search online, it is highly recomended to not keep females in with males.

red bootz
06-17-03, 05:49 PM
I was just reading up on the white clouds last night and found they come from mountain streams in China. Correct me if I'm wrong but mountain streams equal cool well aerated water whereas the set up I'm looking at will most likely be quite stagnant. Still think I could swing it if I have enough oxygenating vegetation?

Kase
06-18-03, 09:01 PM
What about dwarf gouramis? I have keeped a trio in a ten gallon tank without filtraion but it was heavily planted... Its something a little more colourful than white clouds and a litte bigger

Shane Tesser
06-19-03, 07:51 PM
Ah...how about plattys..swords? both are colorful, both will eat misquito larvae, both are versions of the america's fish. Or why not guppies? They can tolerate a bit of a chill now and then ;)

red bootz
06-20-03, 06:55 AM
So many suggestions...shoot, I think I'll stick with my original original plan and get a Sclerpoges formosus...Whatever! I think I'm gonna take this slowly. The more I think about it the more complicated it becomes! My simple "tub+plants+few hardy fish"plan is going by the wayside. I just went out and bought an in-tank filter. Scared to see whats next. Before you know it, its gonna be too cold to keep fish outside and I'm gonna have a full blown set up inside...Save Me!! But thanks for all the suggestions...

Darlene
06-21-03, 09:26 PM
Have you considered the 'unusual fishies' such as the African dwarf frog or the Japanese red-clawed crab ? Both are cold water , bottom eaters (love shrimp pellets) & will climb the plants or swim to the surface to breath if necessary. The crabs love to get out & sit on plant tops that reach the surface or on floating plants. The frogs don't usually climb right out but will use plants to brace themselves at the surface. Both these little guys are very entertaining & easy for winter maintenance. I have kept both myself for times of moving/hospitalization/etc. in small flat 2 gallon bowls with just a little air stone in it from a little 5g pump. I'd be happy to give you more info on my experience with them.
Just a thought , Dar

red bootz
06-21-03, 09:39 PM
Thnx Darlene.

Yeah, I considered amphs and inverts too, but its just that i'm itching to get back into the fish aspect of the hobby, y'know...I think I'm getting a rash.