PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

Lasher
06-16-03, 01:14 PM
I went on my first field herping trip this weekend. The temp was around 85 degrees. I looked under old dead logs (rolled them over), in nooks in trees, and also under anything that might provide ground cover. The area I was hunting is apx 3 mi X 3 mi. We see rat snakes, gopher or fox snakes and other common snakes around the house all the time. Long story short, the only thing I caught was poison ivy. Can someone give me the low-down on what I am doing wrong? What time of day is best. Is road cruising more productive?

SCReptiles
06-16-03, 01:47 PM
In my opinion, and it’s only opinion, road cruising is far superior for general field herping. If you want specific snakes, such as cottonmouths, you will have to leave the road, but for the most part cruising is the tops. Look at my post history. I have put out all types of tips and info I road cruising. I think you will like it better. Good luck to you.

MAN OF STEEL
06-24-03, 02:36 PM
hey chuck, from reading what you always post, you sound like the best person to get pointers on. i am very new to all this field herping stuff and i have a very stupid question to ask.
i know probably anyone could answer this question accept me,
but what is road cruising exactly?

KrokadilyanGuy3
06-24-03, 05:19 PM
Personally, I dislike road cruising because I don't think it's true herping. Not to mention there's no real skill asides from the fact you need a driver's license. There's also no fun in it. I hardly road cruise, even at night. Searching a graveyard or a golf course at night brings out wonders. I guess it's the way I was brought up herpin and hunting with my dad. "If there's no effort why win the award.." Now I know there are exceptions such as individuals who can't do long hikes or see at night. Or if your a photographer needing to make a deadline or some sort. However, we all have our thing. ( Also, road cruising is driving along a road looking for snakes. Mostly done at night. -In a nut shell- )
Plus at a 1.65 per gallon.. heh..
Xain

MAN OF STEEL
06-25-03, 09:32 AM
do you look for good places that they might have some cover while cruising or do they just chill out in plain view?

JoeBradley
06-25-03, 04:28 PM
It all depends on conditions. I went herping last week and we field hunted for about two hours and then road cruised for another two and did not see one live snake.
Road cruising is driving down the road looking for snakes that are crossing the road or just hanging out on the warm pavement.

Alan311
06-25-03, 04:35 PM
i had the same problem herping with my brother we looked for a whole weekend and found nothing which made me disappointed and then my uncle found a Canebrake rattlesnake on the road that night i would like to ask the same question....what am i doing wrong

Alan311
06-25-03, 04:36 PM
well i did find a black widow if thats something lol

Smilts
06-26-03, 01:56 AM
I WORK AT A PRISON ON THE OUTSIDE OF TOWN WE FIND SNAKES MOSTLY BULL AND RATTLESNAKES THATS KINDA ROAD CRUSIN

MAN OF STEEL
06-26-03, 09:02 AM
thanks joe!

snkmn
07-19-03, 04:22 PM
is there a certan time of day to go road cruising, or all day and night is good?