PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina trip results

shaggybill
06-14-03, 05:42 PM
Heres what I caught after herping 7 days a week. At least 2 hours a day, and up to 8 hours in one day.

1 black rat snake....4'
1 black rat snake....5 1/2'
1 black rat snake....4'
1 Eastern kingsnake....4' (ran halfway around the lake to catch him when I saw him swimming out in the middle)
1 black racer..........5'

Where are all the snakes!!!????

NO FREAKING COPPERHEADS!!!

When I lived down there, I used to find them all over the place. Anywhere you looked, you could always find a copperhead. I looked everyplace imaginable. Sniff...oh well, I still had a good time. I caught a monster bass while fishing. Maybe next time will bring better luck.

garterguy
06-14-03, 09:51 PM
atleast you caught some snakes.i ve gone herping for that long and the least ive ever caught was a garter snake and a copperhead:).cool i recently caught a 5 lb white bass

shaggybill
06-15-03, 07:10 PM
I would have gladly traded all those snakes I found and more for just one copperhead. Oh well, I'm going to Florida in July, so maybe I'll make up for it with an EDB and a cotton. That would be nice... :)

JD@reptiles
06-15-03, 07:47 PM
a 5 foot black racer? are you sure you aren't a fisherman?

SCReptiles
06-16-03, 01:51 PM
Did you get a pic of the 5’ racer? I have never seen one that big.

shaggybill
06-16-03, 08:39 PM
Hehe JD.

You guys are right, I messed up when I typed my measurements. The black rat snake was 5 ft long, and the black racer was 4 1/2'. Thats still a big racer. It was sunning itself on a log by the creek. The only pics I got of it are on my Mini DV camcorder. Unfortuntaly, I didnt realize the only way to take the digital still pic was to press the button *twice* for the memory stick. It was a great pic of me holding the snake about 6 inches before the tip of its tail, and its head was a foot off the ground.

Maybe after I put the video onto my computer, I'll be able to take a frame and use it as a pic to put on here.

I have a two awesome video sequences of the snake striking directly at the lense of the camcorder. This was the most agressive snake I have ever held. It'll be a few days before I can put the video onto my PC cause I am having a hard time making myself pay $30 - $40 for a stinking firewire cable.

SCReptiles
06-17-03, 08:25 AM
Don’t get the impression that I thought you were laying, according to the field guide, the racer can obtain 5’, I have just never seen one that long. I have a pair, both pushing 4. They are beautiful snakes!