PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaah111 Help Help Help!!!!!

17730turtlegirl
06-13-03, 12:06 PM
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO BREED MY STICKLE BACKS THEIR READY TO LAY BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO CARE FOR THEM PLEASE HELP ME >( :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mason
06-14-03, 12:08 AM
try putting them in very clean water , and lots of real plants. Good circulation

otherwize I donknow

Shane Tesser
06-14-03, 07:34 AM
Sticklebacks are one of the easiest fish to breed if you just know how. Because of where they come from, they are a temperature driven breeder. Meaning that a large dip up and down on the temperature scale will cause a spawning behavior. Mason was correct about the plants, fine leaved ones are required here. The most needed items for them are small clay pots and various caves to breed it. They require soft well oxygenated water for most of the year at a relatively normal temp...around room temp. To get them to breed they need conditioning with live foods, then the temperature of the tank must be dropped down to as close to freezing as possible for a couple of weeks. Then gradually raise the temp back up and it should kick them into spawn mode. This can be a bit tricky if you dont have a chiller. I used to do this in a ten gallon with constant ice cubes. I caution you to practise just how many ice cubes to add, and monitor the temp fluctuations over night, the amount the cubes burn off etc. Depending on which stickle back you have, if the conditions are met, you will see the males change colour. The three spine stickleback will turn a bright red. The ten spined turns black i believe ( only ever kept the three spined personally). There is possibly other ways to breed these, this has always worked for me though. Great little fishes, i dont know why more ppl don't keep these? Good luck :D

Shane Tesser
06-14-03, 07:47 AM
I should probably mention that any time you raise or lower temps in a tank, it should be very gradual, as to not stun or harm the animals.....weeks of time at least if possible :)

17730turtlegirl
06-16-03, 01:33 PM
I SHOULD PROBABLY MENTION THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 90 OF THEM AND THEIR IN AN 900-1000(PROBABLY MORE) GALLON POND WITH LIVE PLANTS AND CAVES :rolleyes:

Shane Tesser
06-16-03, 05:17 PM
Ah...lol...well wait till the weather goes colder...in something that large just let nature run its course :D

Shane Tesser
06-16-03, 05:17 PM
Ah...lol...well wait till the weather goes colder...in something that large just let nature run its course :D

17730turtlegirl
06-17-03, 11:10 AM
THANX I GUESS THAT WILL WORK ILL TRY TO BE PATIENT