PDA

View Full Version : Urgh, Another Bust

SerpentLust
06-09-03, 08:42 PM
This is my 5th time herping, again no luck. *grins* I could really use some pointers. My aunt tells me that kids in her neighbourhood are all catching garters and walking around with them. I have been beaten by children! lol

So today's herping expidition was...um...interesting. I sure as hell didn't find any herps. But I did find something.

Since I think there are children on this site. I'll just give hints. It's long, cylindrical, you have to be 18 to purchase one and it takes two batteries. So I took a picture of me holding it with a weirded out expression on my face! lol

Jenn

SCReptiles
06-10-03, 12:38 PM
serpent lust, what area are you herping in and what mythod are you using?

SerpentLust
06-10-03, 12:41 PM
Well I'm a beginner herper. I'm just going to try and find herps and photograph them. Mostly just wooded areas like Duchesne falls. It's damp there and has this mini waterfall and lots of woods. I've just been flipping over anything that'll flip, looking in the ponds, etc. Which is why I asked for help.

I also went to the marshy beaver pond...found a frog lol but that's about it.

Any help would be welcome and appreciated

Jenn

marisa
06-10-03, 12:41 PM
Ew are you sure you are not herping in Toronto on Jarvis St? LOL

Better luck next time! :D

Marisa

SerpentLust
06-10-03, 01:12 PM
MARISA: HAHAHA!!! Well another person said, "you're supposed to herp outside, not in your dresser drawer"

SCReptiles
06-10-03, 01:14 PM
I have the most success road cruising. Have you tried that? In Chattanooga, I assume that the snake seeks to be 78 degrees. This gives you the advantage of knowing when/where to look. Now, since you live so far north, I would assume your snakes are accustomed to a cooler climate, so they may seek to be about 76. The road will maintain heat longer then the surrounding ground, so when the temp drops below 76, they will start seeking heat. It best to hit the road about dusk and run for about 4 hours. After that there is little difference in road and ground temp. Look for back roads with low traffic and few houses. If the road is near a water source that is also helpful. I would start by trying McPherson Dr. (From North Bay, Can 17 east to Centennial Crest east take you to it) If you are only interested in walking the fields, you seem to have a good method. In the heat of the day, looking under bark and logs is a great place to herp. Remember, if they seek to be 76 and the air temp is warmer then that, they will be looking to get cool. If there are cattle or horses around, look in that area. They often spill feed that attracts rats, which will attract snakes. If you have somewhat private land, layout pieces of plywood and tin. They are magnets for serpents.

MAN OF STEEL
06-24-03, 02:45 PM
lmfao! serpentlust that was funny as hell!

SCReptiles
06-30-03, 03:05 PM
Have you had any luck since you posted this?

JeffT
06-30-03, 03:21 PM
haha, i wonder why one of those would be outside....kinda makes u worry about more than steppin in dog poo.

SerpentLust
06-30-03, 03:36 PM
I haven't tried since then. I've been so busy getting my friend into his new apartment and such.

Jenn

snkmn
07-21-03, 02:08 AM
what time is good for road cruising?