PDA

View Full Version : Feeding baby mice to my fish...

TardGirl
06-03-03, 12:34 AM
I have a full grown tiger oscar, And he eats just about anything even the eyes out of my one goldfish, He did that when he was just a little baby oscar. i breed mice and rats for my 3 snakes that i have and i gave one of the newborn mice to my oscar and he loved it, I gave him a few more the other day and he liked everything about it. Do you think it's ok to give him newborn mice as a treat? Cause i sometimes give him feeder fish but he seems to like newborn mice alot better then feeder fish. Thanks :)

Youkai
06-03-03, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't feed them often, because quite simply, how often does an oscar eat something like that in the wild? They aren't built to handle that kind of food (as much as he might like them...).

TardGirl
06-03-03, 12:57 AM
What if i Only feed him like 1 a month, cause thats about how offen my mice have babies. Do you think that could be bad for him? I just wanted to know so that i dont end up killing him or anything cause i have had him for like 5 years.

Shane Tesser
06-03-03, 03:04 AM
I think new born pinkies would be okay...i cant imagine the bone structure is such at that size that it would be harmfull...as least not in a great quantity...but to be honest...never thought about doing it. Once a month would probably be okay..but im not 100% on this..so at your own risk. Just dont over feed him...hes probably not used to having something that size suppliment his regular diet over all these years.

Crusty
06-03-03, 08:12 PM
you can't kill an oscar my buddy Yoda's oscar ate CHICKEN-MCNUGGETS with bar-B-que sauce!!!

Colonel SB
06-03-03, 08:15 PM
It's not the fact that they can't swallow the prey or the bones, it's the fat content fish arn't high in fat but pinkies are. Too much fat over a long period of time can deffinatly kill or shorten the oscars lives.

Darlene
06-07-03, 09:42 AM
Crusty did you choose your name after 'Crusty the Clown' on the 'Simpsons' ?
lmao. I hearn that he puts away his share of nuggets , too !!!!
(BBQ sauce.........teeheeheee)

Herpkingdom
06-07-03, 10:33 AM
I fed my oscar adult mice. He would just snatch them up and swim around with the tail hanging out of him mouth. This was a special treat for him, only given about once a month or longer. Usually when one of my snakes refused food for some reason.

I never had any problems with feeding him mice and he died after 12 years at a ripe length of 22 inches. Old age got him in the end :(