PDA

View Full Version : koi.....kinda fun....

Jeff_Favelle
06-22-02, 09:57 PM
........can't wait until they big!!!

Shane Tesser
06-23-02, 02:17 PM
Hi Jeff, cool pic. Ive got a little insite for you that you may or may not know, kind of a cool trick a friend of mine taught me. He has a huge koi pond, million of babies every year, he prays for cats to come along sometimes as the stock get out of hand, joking, im joking. Okay, i though he was nuts when he first told me this but here goes. If you put a bale of hay, or straw in the water, it will turn the water crystal clear and almost completely solve any algae problems. Crazy, i know, that's what i said but it works. Also when it comes to the winter, the straw wont completely freeze, and it allows the ever important air gap under the ice. This is all my friend does, no filters. I have no idea what the straw chemically actually does but???? if you know the actual reason it works, id love to hear about it, ive always wondered, he doesn't even know, he got the info from some old farmer. s.t.

Jeff_Favelle
06-23-02, 07:09 PM
But not on my tank. I work at a Koi farm! Its barley that's the best. Extractives in the xylem tissue are toxic to algae or they use up something (magnesium?) in the water that the algae needs. We use it. The Koi I took a pic of are in my basement and they are just there to help me think, ha ha, fat lot of good that does eh?!! Weird eh? But really I'm just waiting for you to come over to BC and build me a in-floor tank with a waterfall! Heh heh...

Jeff_Favelle
06-23-02, 07:15 PM
Can't find the exact reason, but it seems like these guys are saying that it just prevents light from getting in. Beats me Shane!! I'll ask my boss tomorrow!! I really should know, but my brain is small and is really only ever occupied by thoughts of girls and snakes!

http://www.barleystraw.safeshopper.com/

Shane Tesser
06-23-02, 07:16 PM
I guess your one of those guys that has no budget! Man, im telling ya, if i could afford it i would build one big enough that i could move into it. Me and the fish. Im still saving up though for the one i want, ive seen it on line. 16'x5'x4'. Ive got the money for it, just not the house to put it in. My parents are not too keen on my setting up another tank. The hydro bill is huge as is. And i just finished doing a clean out on two, and noticed that the temperature inside has shot up due to the a/c being on, i guess cause the outside glass temp is cold. Wait till they get this bill. Oh well, thats life. Hey, im still waiting for my plane ticket, b.c. is awesome, just let me know the day, lol, s.t.