PDA

View Full Version : I finally found one on the island :)

Kyle Barker
05-30-03, 01:32 PM
A couple days ago i was out camping. I was headed towards the out houses when i heard the bushes rattling. It was two garters, so i figuered i should catch tehm and see what they look like. Tehy turned out to be red sided garters. I have never seen these on yhte island, i have just been told they live here. Of course my camara is busted so no pics, but it made my trip:)
Anyone know of any good spots for clouded sal's on Vancouver island, other than the highlands?

kyle

Jeff_Favelle
05-30-03, 06:53 PM
I found 5 clouded salamanders (Aneides ferreus) on my driveway this winter. You won't find them now. Way way too late in the season.

Red-sided garters and various integrades are very plentiful out by the Ferry Terminal. I can catch literally 10 in an hour. I caught one eating a baby Alligator Lizard once.

garterguy
05-30-03, 09:37 PM
i wish we had red sided garters down here but we have all the others.but sometimes there are integrades of common garters that are red down here.beautiful snakes.

Kyle Barker
05-31-03, 12:58 AM
They are beautifull snakes.
I have yet to catch one of them damn things, how sad is that :) I have seen quite a few out by the ferries, and im always catching the wnadering and northwesterns but this is the first time i have caught a red sided on the island, well 2. When i was at the show in richmond last year we found an absolutly gorgeous red sided in the pond soaking up the sun. Every time i see them i never have my camara. Some day i will catch them on film!

Ohh, jeff you know of any good places, when its time, to find clouded's out my way?

kyle

Jeff_Favelle
05-31-03, 03:58 AM
Wait until you find the population of melanistics and albinos (heh heh. I'm NOT telling. I take that secret to my grave).

As for the Cloudeds, well they are terrestrial, they lay eggs on land and GUARD them. You won't find them from May - October, no matter how hard you look. They like leaf litter and they won't be near any bodies of fresh water (well, not super close anyways). But you've been to my house, and I found 5 right on my driveway just this year alone. I can't catch one and give it to you though. I like to observe them. I wouldn't feel right yanking them out of their place in "nature" to put them in a tank. But next one I see, I'll photograph again.

Kyle Barker
05-31-03, 12:07 PM
Albino garters, here? Man, why did you say that i will never get to sleep now :)

I didn't mean that i wanted one, just want to find them and get pictures. There is nothing that lives here that i would want to keep. Just looking for places to find and photograph them. And i agree it isn't right taking them out of the wild.

What about Ensatina's i have been told they live here by tons of people, but i still havn't found one on the island, just the mainland. Any idea's?

Thanks,
Kyle

Jeff_Favelle
05-31-03, 01:27 PM
Further up island for the Ensatinas man. Like Tofino, Courtenay, Campbell River, etc etc. Not easy to find, but WELL worth it.

Beejay
06-01-03, 12:49 PM
You've found albino garters in the wild Jeff?

Hmmm....do tell! And do you have pictures? I'm a little sceptical you see...lol

Bj