PDA

View Full Version : Are there any species of water snakes that are venomous?

garterguy
05-29-03, 01:59 PM
i was wondering because i want to start studying these snakes and i want to know which ones are poisionous.thx.

LdyDrgn
05-29-03, 02:08 PM
If you are referring to the Genus Nerodia, then, NO, they are not venomous in the least. Viscious? YES!!! But not venomous.

If you are asking about any snake that likes water, then I'd say the cottonmouth. Be careful out there and always have a nice long field hook handy ;)

Herp guy
05-29-03, 02:33 PM
Yeah, cottonmouths. Where do u live? im curious to know your email address, garterguy email me at FaNg2oo2@aol.com sometime and i can talk to you.

Well, anyways i live in the Lake erie area, (ohio) and around the lake there are Northern water snakes, (which are VERY aggressive, but recently i tamed a 6 footer!!) and lake erie water snakes which are endangered. fox snakes and garters live around water too.(in lake erie area and most other places) i ll have another post concerning water snakes i cuaght recently.
by the way im 12 so we r both young**email me PLEASE

JD@reptiles
05-29-03, 02:37 PM
theres also some rear fanged water snakes in asia an places like that, but... you wont have to worry about those ;).

Jordan :)

Hamster of Borg
06-02-03, 03:12 PM
Gee, you should take that 6 footer to a biologist. Considering it breaks the record for a northern watersnake by, oh, nearly two feet.

Ham

Mason
06-02-03, 09:17 PM
I think the most venemous snake is a water snake from around australia.

BWSmith
06-02-03, 09:47 PM
I think you mean Sea Snake. They are VERY venOmous.

ThEmAdHaTtEr
06-02-03, 09:56 PM
I saw a special on sea snakes a while back. Apparently they are like puppy dogs and most are not aggresive, but when they bite chances are your dead.

Crusty
06-02-03, 10:17 PM
dude ship us a pic i lived on the north side of erie CANADA,seen em 3ft MAX. that thing must have SARS

suckrpnch
06-02-03, 11:07 PM
wow herpguy.. I thought I was the only one from Ohio on here. If a snake came from lake erie and bit you, the only thing you have to worry about is getting the lake water in your wound.. you could die from some strange chemical polution infection

(nasty water) :)

MAN OF STEEL
06-05-03, 01:19 PM
yes, the sea snake that i have had experience with is in japan.
i dont know the actual name of it we just called it the"water habu" very, very, docile. solid black and very beautiful.
they are suppose to be very deadly, but me being very stupid
always played with them when my buddies and i went diving on our off time. no bad experiences, but still pretty stupid.
as far as the water snakes in asia, i know of one...
the vietnamese water snake, rear fanged as stated, very poisonous, but then a very docile snake. they are a very beautiful
olive drab green on the dorsal side, a yellowish on the ventral side with an arrowed head. very beautiful!

ranmasatome
06-05-03, 10:51 PM
ahhh...asian water snakes...:)

copperhead
06-06-03, 05:40 PM
isn't the copper head a kind of water snake? Maybe i'm wrong but i thought it belongs to the water mocasin family. Maybe i'm wrong.

JD@reptiles
06-06-03, 06:46 PM
similar species but Not the same. they are land snakes. they may go in the water occasionally (Like any snake) but, they eat and live on land. an i have seen some Huge lake erie water snakes pushing 3 feet. i have a picture to prove it :Dhttp://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/562lake_erie_water-med.jpg

AnOle
06-14-03, 10:09 PM
Yeh My Friend's Uncle Lived In Belize As A Kid and got bit by a Sea Snake. He started to feel dehydrated and tired so his brothers started giving glass after glass of water (thats a no no!). Then he started to bleed for his eyes, ears, mouth and healed scares started breaking open and bleeding!! Long story short they gave him over to the aboriginals to take care of him!! I might be able to borrow the pics of him if u need proof!!
Brad,