PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Clown Plecos

Youkai
06-20-02, 11:27 PM
Panaqolus maccus

Anyone have any tips, pointers, etc....?

Shane Tesser
06-20-02, 11:57 PM
I believe to be honest with you, plec's are very difficult, i can't say i know for sure about clowns, but i know there are still several that have just never been done. I remember reading somewhere that it was thought to believe that migration was the missing link in breeding alot of these. But i could be wrong. I know though as im sure you are already aware they need wood in their diet. Sounds funny just saying it, lol. but this may be one of the conditioning requirements, good luck! Anyone else? s.t.

corr
06-21-02, 05:19 AM
I don't know about Clowns either but Plecos in general are very difficult to breed. I think Shane is right about the migration thing.

Although, I've heard that Bristlenoses can be quite easy. They are readily available and also highly sought after. They eat algae throughout their entire lives, unlike most other Plecos. They also don't get too big.

Don't forget the wood! LOL

Shane Tesser
06-21-02, 09:02 AM
Hey here is a pic of one of my plec's, did you know that pleco's apparnetly tastes like lobster. Im not joking, i have it in a book. Man i tell ya, i this big guy knocks over another rock in his tank....to the B.B.Q. (im kidding)

Shane Tesser
06-21-02, 09:03 AM
Tee hee, forgot the picture

Shane Tesser
06-21-02, 09:04 AM

Youkai
06-22-02, 12:24 AM
I know some of them, most of them, are really hard to breed. Clowns just happen to be one of my favorites, and I was hoping there was some information on the subject. I love bristle nose plecos too, so I might just set up a tank for a project such as that. I WOULD rather breed the clowns, but hey...the bristlenose are interesting plecos!

And yes, there's lots of wood. :)

corr
06-22-02, 05:50 AM
Just found this...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

Youkai
06-23-02, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the link. I found the clown breeding stuff. A new project for me... =D

Shane Tesser
06-23-02, 02:18 PM
Cool link corr, how did you find that one, its the best one ive ever seen on the subject. s.t.

corr
06-23-02, 05:09 PM
Planet Catfish is probably THE site for... well... catfish! There is a ton of info there. I just did a search on Clown breeding...

Glad I could be of assistance. :)

Simon R. Sansom
07-20-02, 12:04 AM
Hi Youkai,
I currently have three Panaqolus maccus in a twenty, along with four Corydoras (C. julii, C. paleatus, C. panda and C. schwarzi), three Red-Eyed tets and four Lemon tetras.
The tank is equipped with an air-driven under-gravel filter, 100 watt Ebo-Jaeger heater, flourescent lighting, live and silk plants, and drift-wood (of course).
I've had a LOT of aquariums over the years, but since getting more into herps, the aquarium hobby has kind of gotten left by the wayside. This little twenty is the only dedicated fish-aquarium I have left.
Anyway, My three P. maccus are only about 1-3/4" long at the moment so they've got a bit of growing to do yet. I'd like to try breeding them eventually (If there's a pair here). I've been trying to observe them as closely as possible in order to see if I can differentiate any sexual characteristics, but it's iffy yet, at best, although one of them seems to have more prominent spines on the body and longer tail filaments than the others. We'll have to wait and see, though. With my luck I've got three males...LOL! Maybe I'll pick up another one.
How many do you have? How big/old are they? What's your set-up like?
Cheers,
Simon