PDA

View Full Version : Species suggestions?

alexandsnakes
05-28-03, 11:42 AM
I've got a small, shallow (about 6-7 inches of water) warm (76 F or so) tank with a sandy bottom and well planted. It actually houses a turtle, so it's got very good filtration, and I've been stocking it with fish (the turtle hates live foods, she only eats pellets, so they're quite safe)

So far I've got a pitbull pleco, a flying fox, a bronze cory and some innumerable little guppies (breeding like mad) and I'm wondering what other small, schooling fish I can add. Food-wise, they get turtle pellets and algae, which so far everyone seems to be doing great on.

Any suggestions for further additions? They can't get too large (i.e. no goldfish) because if they start stealing food out of the turtle's mouth she stops eating (she needs to be dominant, but is only about 3" long)

Thanks
Alex

corr
05-28-03, 02:48 PM
Hmmm, I have no experience with turtle/fish tanks but there's a ton of different tetras that seem to suit. How about serpaes (sp) or black neons? Harlequin rasboros would be cool too.

snakemann87
05-28-03, 02:55 PM
maybe soem little danios? But if im correct, the plecos get quite large, measuring around 12''???

alexandsnakes
05-28-03, 05:27 PM
yeah well, when the plecos get too big I've got other, fish-loving turtles who can take care of them :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out danios and tetras.

Would something like mollies would be okay?

corr
05-29-03, 05:04 AM
Zebra Danios is a good choice. Mollies actually get quite large (3 or 4 inches). How much water do you figure it is?

alexandsnakes
05-29-03, 05:51 PM
I didn't know that, they've always been smaller in stores. I do really like the dalmation mutation.

I think it's about 10 gallons of water total, maybe a bit more.

I added four cherry barbs today (I was seduced by their pretty colours)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Alex

snakemann87
05-29-03, 08:36 PM
lol of course they're small!!!!!! Do you ever see a full grown Pleco, Oscar, Bala Shark, Red Pacu??? Of course NOT. Then people would know how big they get:) Why would they want people to have the correct information??