PDA

View Full Version : New Coral

BWSmith
05-27-03, 09:25 AM
I love these guys but they are so hard to keep alive. Picked him up from the nature center while camping.

http://www.reptileeducation.com/coral.jpg

http://www.reptileeducation.com/coral2.jpg

Tim and Julie B
05-27-03, 09:30 AM
Why are they hard to keep alive? A nature center let you take it? They must be way different then the ones around here. I think you would have a hard time taking a pebble let alone an animal.:D Those are gorgous snakes! What is their temperment like?

BWSmith
05-27-03, 09:37 AM
They stress out very easily and are ophidiophages. I get alot of snakes from Nature Centers. This one actually came from the Nature Center at a State Park! He was caught in the ladies restroom at the park lol I traded them a little Scarlet King for him.

Tim and Julie B
05-27-03, 09:46 AM
I am sorry but what is a ophidiophage? Did you just make that word up? :D That is odd because you think of them in the same way as other more commanly kept colubrids like Kings and milks that are bullet proof. That is really strange. Ladies restroom? Well at least it is a civilized snake. It would be funny if it was actually female!:D

BWSmith
05-27-03, 09:50 AM
It is not a colubrid, it is an elapid. Ophidiophage is a reptile eater.

Hamster of Borg
05-27-03, 10:38 AM
Specifically snakes, the root of that being the greek word ophis, meaning snake.

Ham

unBOAlievable
05-27-03, 11:00 AM
Hey B.W.
Nice coral.

What are you feeding it, native snakes? If so does your native liscence cover you for that. It would be nice to feed them things other than non native kings and rat snakes. It can get expensive when your breeding supply runs out.
Thanks.

Hamster of Borg
05-27-03, 11:10 AM
The corals here in TX tend to prefer ground snakes, earth snakes, stuff that is fossorial. Usually they will shy away from other things, especially species that musk a lot like water snakes. A friend of mine uses 'rejects' from a local corn breeder.

Ham

Tim and Julie B
05-27-03, 11:12 AM
Oh an Elaphid like a Cobra. Sorry not my most knowlegable area. So they only eat other reptiles. Can you scent mice on toads or snakes to get them to eat it? Probably not or you would have done it.

BWSmith
05-27-03, 11:14 AM
You CAN get them on scented pinks sometimes, but I prefer to use a natural menu when possible. This one has been in captivity for about 5 moths and living on skinks.

JD@reptiles
05-27-03, 11:17 AM
Beautiful snake BWSmith... Have fun with her :) . Be careful too! :).

Tim and Julie B
05-27-03, 11:18 AM
Thanks again for educating the uneducated BW and doing it nicely.

unBOAlievable
05-27-03, 11:43 AM
I like to use the natural menu to but I do not have the native non ven liscence so how does feeding them there native food come into play with the laws. I have had snakes that would eat nothing but green anoles and every time I brought one home to feed, I was breaking the law. All I am wanting to do is feed my legal reptiles the food they naturally eat and I feel like a criminal if I feed it a ground snake. I try to stay as legal as possable but it pi##es me off when it is legal to do things such as your timber pick but against the law for me to feed my reptiles natural food.

BWSmith
05-27-03, 11:44 AM
I am allowed to keep 2 of each species (call me Noah lol). Plus there is no limit to the number in the freezer ;)

unBOAlievable
05-27-03, 11:47 AM
So are you saying that it is not illegal to keep frozen native reptiles.

BWSmith
05-27-03, 12:09 PM
Actually I just called DNR to double check and any frozen ones count as possession. :(

unBOAlievable
05-27-03, 12:18 PM
Thanks B.W.
We could always just take them to AL. on feeding day:rolleyes:
guess I will stick with cal. kings for food with an ocasional milksnake.