PDA

View Full Version : I like field herping

Chris Steele
05-26-03, 09:12 PM
How can I attract more reptiles/amphibians to my house, especially snakes.

BWSmith
05-26-03, 10:49 PM
set up habitat: a food source and places to hide and breed.

RachelS.
05-26-03, 11:27 PM
you could also set up a pond?? maybe?

Alan311
05-26-03, 11:48 PM
make some watery places like a small pond then get some boards or somthing so they can go under and stalk/ambush pray

Mike177
05-27-03, 12:05 AM
if you live in a rual are try to make good hide spots for rodents with food for them to eat because if you have rodents you will atract mice and rats by the way describe the type of area you live in is it dence forsent open fields or swampy

Chris Steele
05-27-03, 07:14 PM
I have a pond and a creek nearby. I have 3 sheds and corn in the sheds. Still hardly any herps...what do I do?

Beejay
05-27-03, 07:49 PM
Hmmm are you looking under logs, branches and rocks too, or in the grass/bush? They're not going to hang out near the sheds if those other locations are available nearby :D

Try placing some basking spots made from junk around the house (old pot lids, carpeting, tin, etc.)

Good luck!

Bj

Chris Steele
05-27-03, 09:48 PM
Yes, I know all of that already...isnt there anything else I can do?

snakehunter
05-30-03, 05:21 PM
i would also suggest that when you do finally catch herps nearby, release them in the sheds or around the house, but becareful, some animals shouldnt i.e. slamanders.

Chris Steele
05-30-03, 08:38 PM
haha, yeah, I know not to set a salamander in my shed. Thanks for the advice.

CyberGhost
06-01-03, 09:13 PM
I have a pond and have only had it about a weel and have alredy noticed the change is herp life I have seen many more herps then usual escaccialy skinks. I'm planning on setting up some tin and some sort of place to put mice where they will stay there any tips there? Chris try putting out some tin next to water, leave it alone for a couple of weks then go turn it over I assure you there will be some herps.