PDA

View Full Version : Heat rope warning

MartinW
05-26-03, 10:23 AM
It seems I always do stupid things that end up burning something. My most recent problem was with 50W heat rope, and thought I'd share my problems with others so you don't do the same thing:) I put the heat rope under a rubbermaid container with cricket eggs. The rope was just randomly curled around between the carpet and the tub. Anyway, I ended up marking the carpet permanently from too much heat, and it started to smell a little burnt. If you don't overlap the rope over itself it should be fine, but watch out what you put your heat rope on and how you put it there! Apart from that, the heat rope is working wonderfully in my rack system. If I were you I'd continuously monitor the heat for at least 24 hours after setting it up, just to be safe.

Martin

ThEmAdHaTtEr
05-26-03, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the warning Martin, I will be using 18 feet of 50w Heat Rope when I get my Irian Jaya in July. It will be going on top of the bottom of the cage (Wood), But now I think I have changed my mind as I will now put towel on the bottom, then the rope, then coconut substrate. Thanks for the warning.

Linds
05-28-03, 09:56 AM
Yeah it is very important that rope not be curled, spiraled, or whatnot, this creates excessive heat (as we learned at the show :rolleyes: ). However NO heating devices should ever be placed directly on a carpeted floor, regardless of the heat output. There should be some sort of barrier (such as wood) between them.