PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish people ??

Darlene
05-23-03, 04:26 PM
Was wondering who here keeps goldfish & what is in your collection ?

marylyn101
05-23-03, 04:29 PM
two normal not fancy goldfish :)

vanderkm
05-23-03, 07:28 PM
Well, you asked for it - so I am going to show off my guys! I have four tanks of goldfish that I really enjoy. The first and the real pets are two lionheads, one gold and one gold and white. The gold/white one (Edo) is over 5 inches now and Tosa, the gold one is still only about 3 inches. They are incredible characters - very active, inquisitive and gluttons. They delight in splashing everyone with their tails when you open the lid to put food in.
This is them (a view from above before they moved to their new tank a couple months ago).

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/63lionheads.jpg

Then there are the two fantails, a calico (Harmony) and a red/white (Lotus). Lotus has been on the forum before for a problem spending half her time upside down. She is doing better now that I got sinking pellets. They are in our kitchen and are just such beautiful fish and so active.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/63harmony.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/63fantail.jpg

And we have two tanks of common and comet goldfish in various combinations of white and orange. All were feeder fish - 25 cents each - crazy to spend a thousand on tanks, filters, and stuff for $3 worth of fish, but they are fun.

Needless to say, we spend a lot of time each Sunday doing filter and water changes, but we really enjoy these guys.

mary v.

snakemann87
05-24-03, 07:35 PM
my brother(hes 5 so ill be careing for them) just got two. one is your plain old gold fish, then one has black on its top fin and alittle on its belly, its really pretty.

geckoguy157
05-24-03, 08:39 PM
get piranha's or oscars they can live with goldfish ;) lol i have the opisite of you guy's ive got my oscar he's my garbarator eats left over circkets and worms and the od live fish but its 2 much of a hassle but they sure are smart hunting fish they stay perfectly still laying flat on the ground(on there side) and when there over top of em whack and they got em

corr
05-25-03, 06:36 AM
I'm just a new goldfish keeper. I built this aquarium last week out of some leftover glass Dino had. It has an under-gravel filter as well as a temp fluval one until the "good" bacteria builts up.

Meet Ping and Pong! :D

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/3012/88dcp_0015.jpg

Shane Tesser
05-25-03, 06:53 AM
Very cool design Corr :D

Emily-Fisher
05-25-03, 07:31 AM
Wow, vancerkm!! They are beautiful!! I love your calico :)

Darlene
05-25-03, 02:31 PM
Great pics guys. Tks so much for sharing. Shane , what's in your collection ?

17730turtlegirl
06-11-03, 12:42 PM
ok this migh take a while to tell u all my fish but here goes it
i have about 5 regular gold fish 3 comets a red cap oranda afemale betta a gold molly a pleco a gold danio about 5 clouds(not sure of their whole name) 2 shubunkins and out side i have a koi and aBOUT 60 sticklebacks phew i think thats all

MartinW
06-11-03, 01:12 PM
Has anyone ever bread fancy/exotic goldfish? I've been trying to breed fish and my mom's been trying to get me to breed Ryukin. I think they're bred a lot in Asia but I haven't met anyone who has.

Martin

Jeff_Favelle
06-11-03, 10:06 PM
Goldfish?

You should come to my work. We have MILLIONS.

http://members.shaw.ca/galleryb/feeders.jpg

Scales Zoo
06-11-03, 10:14 PM
Holy Crap!

There is at least 1000 in the picture you posted.

Can I buy 1000 goldfish? We have the ponds for them - I'd like to know what kind of deal I can get.

Ryan

Jeff_Favelle
06-11-03, 11:02 PM
A thousand? Heh heh......that's 600 gallons of water in there. Try 6,000 + feeders and Sarassas goldfish, heh heh.

We ship to Regina (Unique Watergardens to be exact) all the time. But we're wholesale, so you'd have to have a PST number for us to legally sell you anything.

SerpentLust
06-12-03, 03:05 AM
Tee hee, I keep normal feeder goldfish for my snake. But I actually kept one as a pet because he had interesting markings on his tail! lol

Jenn

vanderkm
06-12-03, 01:19 PM
wow Jeff - that is a lot of goldfish - we will stick with our few pets!

Martin - our pairs have laid eggs but nothing has hatched - even though we removed them because the adults were eating them as fast as they were laid! Not actually sure that we have pairs, so eggs might not have been fertile - but know we have at least one female in each group!

My mom has common goldfish in her pond and they breed every summer - pretty soon she will have as many as Jeff! They do not retain the gold color though, most are yellowish.

mary v.

Darlene
06-21-03, 08:59 PM
Wow what diff stuff posted here. Tks guys. My own collection (since we're listing all) has 2 African dwarf frogs, 2 loaches (forget full name.....the little eely type), lots of snails, a silver balloon molly, 2 black mollies, 2 sunset platties, 2 orange swordtails, 3 huge comets who live in my pond, a red cap oranda, a lionhead, a calico telescope eye, a black moor, a pompom, a pearl scale & last but not least....a bubble eye.
I don't breed myself (tho I seem to get more sometimes !) but a gent I know who raises all the pond goldies ; including ryukin ; swears by having a flowing current for his eggies & babies. Martin you may want to peruse this site back a bit as many good fish site addresses were posted where you may find the info you need. I don't have them right here (we just moved & I can't find a thing !). One good site is the British Goldfish Society if you can find their address.
Cheers everyone , Dar