PDA

View Full Version : This fish forum...

Tom P
06-18-02, 09:49 PM
has made me realize that I need a fish set-up. I am going to try and set one up. Just a few questions.

I could probably find the answer on the web, but I would rather get answers form you guys.

1. What is Brackish? I have seen that term used a few times in here.
2. I am goin to set-up a 45 gallon tank, what do i need to do to get it ready for plants, plants, and more plants?

3. what would be a few nice starter fish? Preferably something that looks neat and fun to watch.

Thanks guys, and keep posting pics of your set-ups!!!

Tom P

Shane Tesser
06-18-02, 11:50 PM
Hi tom, welcome to the wonderful world of fish. To achieve a heavily planted tank like the one picture of my 150 gallon, you need first off nutrients, i actually earlier today posted on one of the threads some of the secrets i use. This sort of set up as i describe is somewhat un-orthadox, a little extreme, but as i stated in the reply it works. First off, a forty five gallon tank is perfect. Im assuming that the tank is at least twelve inches high, more probably about eighteen. Excellent for establishing light requirements. Since you are a beginner, ill give you some really easy plants to start with, a few that come to mind are:Java ferns, and Java moss, both of which dont like being actually planted, their happier just being tied to rocks and wood, eventually they will bond themselves and grow like mad, and this is a plus as well as neither require really strong light, and being set up this way, if you dont like the way the tank looks, you can simply lift the entire piece up and move it. And trust me, your never satisfied. Another easy plant are the majoriety of sword plants, they grow to 24" or more, i have some that are over 30", and about two feet in diameter. Also, anubus. Its a good broadleafed hardy plant that doesnt require much light either. Now with this said, ill try and keep this short, your tank with about 1-1-1/2-2 watts per gallon of light is about ideal, 45 gallons, two fluoresent 40 watt bulbs, presto, and not fancy bulbs either, hardware variety plant grow bulbs are perfect. Im gonna cut this short, its almost 2 a.m. and i need sleep, gotta be up at seven. Brackish water is water with small trace amounts of salt, small as in comparison to pure salt water. It essentially is where the sea, or ocean, meets the fresh water inlets, it is at best dilutted, and also not recommended for the beginner. I will continue with more tomorrow, nighty, night, s.t.