PDA

View Full Version : a tank planted with questions

dippy
05-21-03, 10:53 PM
I have setup my 20g planted tank. I have a couple Java ferns and some java moss and a few others that I don't know the names of. I have checked some things and the ph is fluctuating from 6.0 to 6.5. The General Hardness is 300+ ppm and the Alkalinity is about 0 ppm. I don't know much about these things but the tester said these weren't especially good readings. The tester recommended Gh 50-150 and alk. 120-300. The ph I try to keep at 6.5 for the fish and the local aquarium store owner said it would be alright for the plants. So...how do I lower the Gh and raise the Alk?

corr
05-22-03, 05:14 AM
Some plants will suck up carbonates (kH or alkalinity) like there's no tommorrow. It sounds to me that this has happened over a period of time and your water change schedule can't replenish it fast enough. What is your kH reading out of the tap?

Another possibility is "old tank syndrom" which involves a complete tear down and or thorough gravel vac. How long has the tank been running?

Either way, the quick way to solve the problem is to bring up the kH by adding 3 tsp of epsom salt/baking soda mixed 2:1. This should raise the kH at least 2 degrees (~35 ppm). Once the kH is corrected, the ph will stabilize. The Gh is not as important.

It would be a good idea to borrow someone's test kits so you can verify your results too. HTH

dippy
05-22-03, 12:17 PM
The tank was just changed from a small cichlid tank that has been running for about a year to a planted tank. I put new seachem flourite gravel in along with some driftwood and plants. I change about 6 gallons of water per week. Right out of the tap the kH is 40 ppm.

I'll try the salt/baking soda remedy it sounds good. I like quick.

Thanks E

dippy
05-22-03, 02:33 PM
What kind of tester do you use to measure these factors. I am wondering if there are better options than the ones I'm using?

What is epsom salt? Never heard of it.

Thanks E

corr
05-22-03, 04:58 PM
I just use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits for Gh and Kh.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and sold in Drug stores as bath salts. Just make sure it's 100% with no other crud added.

I've used this mixture for my Malawi and Tanganyikan Ciclids. It works well and is not at all expensive. Add it slowly with every water change.

Shane Tesser
05-23-03, 02:31 AM
Corr...looks like we use the same test kits ;)

Shane Tesser
05-23-03, 02:33 AM
I had another thought here..i heard years ago the epsom salts if you put them at the base of a tomatoe plants roots will make the fruit grow gigantic....not sure how this is at all relavent...i think its because its 4:22 am ;) :D

corr
05-23-03, 05:03 AM
Mmmmmm, magnesium sulfate enhanced tomatoes....

lol