PDA

View Full Version : newb to this..help please

snakemann87
05-19-03, 12:31 PM
Currently I am babysitting two goldfish for my neighbors. I have the tank on my desk and when I walk in it looks REALLY nice with the lighting on. I am very interested in getting a small aquarium for my room. MY questions are: what is the best first fish, although nothing basic like a goldfish, how big of an aquarium, all items i need to buy for it, etc.

P.S.- I am very interested in the shark like fish, such as the redtail and bala shark. Also I dont want to spend too much on my first aquarium. THanks in advance

Don

Darlene
05-20-03, 09:38 AM
I've never kept the 'sharks' myself but have looked into them. One thing you'll have to find out is the size they will grow to as I know nothing about that part of them. I can suggest Walmart for your first aquarium kit. They have some really nice set-ups in 5, 10 & 20 gallon sizes. They come with everything you'll need to get going at a very good price. Some of the sharks are not difficult keepers. You'll need a temp of 75 - 80 degrees. My tanks stay around 75 without their own heat source & my tropicals do well. A 10 g should be fine for 3-6 of those guys. My friend has 4 in a 10 g & they're between 2 -3 inches full size. I am just not sure of their type. She keeps them at room temp , too. She has hiding spots in her decor that they love to be in also. Other fish I have found not too difficult are guppies , tetra , platties , swordtails , angelfish & catfish. That's in my own experience. A site you may want to browse is www.aquariumhobbyist.com. Keep in mind if you get a large growing one that you may have to get a larger set-up later. My friends largest shark is about a foot long & is in a 60 g that she soon hopes to replace with a bigger one. Hope that is a little help. Contact me anytime , Dar.

snakemann87
05-20-03, 11:52 AM
Thank you for the response, I've been waiting:) The bala shark grow to 12 inches, so I am going to hold off. I am taking your advice and going to start off small, with a nice tank from walmart for now. Im not sure on the type of fish yet. Id appreciate your opinion. I am getting a 5 gallon most likely. What are some nice(cheap) fish that will fit in there?? Also my friend has some eels?? They arent real eels just look alikes. Are these difficult?

Tinytim12333
05-20-03, 12:17 PM
I would suggest getting a Chinise Fighting Fish with that small of a tank. If u get a ten gallon i would suggest 2-4 Mollies or platys and u dont need an algea eater mollies work just as good or better than them. I had an algea eater that got 12 in. long in a 30 gallon tank but it was 10 years old when it died from ich. It survived fin rot three times, over chlorinated tap water four times, various parsites approx. 12 times. Always look at the fish very closely before you buy it and all the other fish in the same tank and look for dead, dying, sick fish, that how my algea eater got all the diseases. Look for decaying fins, little cotton like spots on the fish, over exessive slime, pink bumps w/ or w/ out weird little worm like thingd coming in and out, and look in the water if you can see any floating or swimming things in the water that are not fish or bubbles. You can see small worms, and parasites floating around. Never give live food unless it is a very reputable store. Theres always flake or pellets for your fish. Also there is sometime frozen fish food like brine shrimp, blood worms etc. I suggest giving one tab of it once a week cuz mollies or platys love them and they are good protein for the pregnant ones. Theres my $.02. Hope i helped. I just love fish so ya know. I just want the fish not to die the day or week after u buy it.

Shane Tesser
05-20-03, 01:39 PM
If your going with a 5-10 gallon...platys, molly's (however they do like a bit of salt), some neons, perhaps some raboras. Keep them cheap, keep them small and keep them few. Bala sharks if you want them require very big tanks, and redtails, red fin, albino redtails etc are so territorial that unless you have a giant tank..you cant keep more then one...infact that goes for the majority of the species. As for algae eaters....very few eat algae, but they do pick up the waste food that other fish miss (and all of the fish people are suggesting to you are top water feeders..so anything that goes past them..they will ignore anyways!)...which lands in the gravel, and throws your water quality out of whack within time...so yes...get at least one...plus you are a new comer and almost 100% likely to overfeed anyways! As for disease, if you quarenteen your fish off the start, you will have no problems...and furthermore, unless you do something like over crowd, or simple neglect..your fish will never have another disease...carefulness and planning are the key!

snakemann87
05-20-03, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I was suggested danios and tetras. But I am doing research on the species you suggested to me now. Thank you

corr
05-20-03, 01:49 PM
In a 10 gallon, I can only recommend a single redtail. They are very aggressive towards each other as adults and will eat smaller fish without hesitation. Balas get very large and are schooling fish. I would recommend nothing smaller than a 100 gallon for these (One of my dream tanks is a 180 with a large school of Balas).

Some suggestions for algae eaters are Otos (3 or 4), a small Pleco (clown or bristlenose), and if you are not keeping real plants, some snails will do the trick. Remember though, just because the tank looks clean, doesn't mean the water is. Regular water changes are a must.

I don't recommend putting Bettas in with mollies or platies (great hardy fish btw) because the mollies and platies look too much like female Bettas and may harrass them to the death.

There are SO many tetras that you could go with. Just go into a fish store, see what catches your eye and go from there. HTH

Tinytim12333
05-20-03, 02:57 PM
With mollies or platies you dont need and algea eater

snakemann87
05-20-03, 03:38 PM
ok. I am deciding to go with a bigger tank. I am extremely interested in the eels and "shark" like fish. Some names and links would be VERY greatly appreciated. I have SOME expierience, but it wasn't a serious thing(I was 8). I had a few zebra fish and a VERY sweet upside down catfish, and literally upside down.

I was wondering about the swordtail fish, angel fish, pirana(who doesnt??), pleco, discus, eels, any shark like fish, and any fascinating fish to watch. I am going to get at the least a 10 gallon, and at the most a 20 gallon. PLEASE if you could tell me size, difficulty, price range, etc on each fish. And since I'm new, point out any fish(even if I havent named it) that are a burmese or retic to the fish world. THANKS in advance!!

P.S.- if any of the fish require a bigger tank, tell me I mite go bigger.

Youkai
05-20-03, 03:59 PM
The only fish listed there that will be okay in a 20gallon is a small group of swords (as long as you mean the livebearers) and MAYBE a pair of angels. It's pushing it for sure for the angels - i wouldn't do it myself. Sharks should have at a bare minimum 50 gallons. All species labled as 'sharks' are either big schooling fish, or big territorial fish.
Discus...don't do it until you've had fish a while. And a large tank is a must.
As for piranah, I wouldn't do anything less then 100 gallons myself...

snakemann87
05-20-03, 04:01 PM
what do angels run for?? and i may get a 55 i saw one in the paper very cheap.

Tinytim12333
05-20-03, 04:03 PM
Most of those you named would need atleast 50 gal. tank if you dont just want one. I myself have a 30 gal. tank with ONE bluegill. These are very spectacular fish to watch while they eat and otherwise. They have spectacular colors. It will need a bigger tank in a while but not now.

Shane Tesser
05-20-03, 04:21 PM
Angels go from anywhere about 2.99-? in my area...just remember..they need a tall tank..and they are cichlids...so small fish with them when they reach adult size are a no!

Darlene
05-21-03, 06:58 AM
Hi there. I'll add another .02 on the fish you asked about but no one responded. I'm not positive that what you are refering to as eels really are. Most common in pet stores are loaches & a variety of these (not clowns) looks like a 2 - 3 inch eel. They are an easy to keep bottom feeder that eats shrimp pellets. Here they go for $3 - $4. I have 2 in an unheated 5g that stays around 75 - 77 deg. They like some salts in the water & a normal pH range of 6.8 - 7.2. Also in my 5g is a pleco that you asked about. His requirements are the same as the loaches. He is also a bottom feeder (shrimp pellets or other leftovers). He was $3. He keeps the tank very clean. I don't need him in it , I just like him. He will outgrow the tank eventually but I have other set-ups he can move to. Plecos aren't active fish & are most often seen stuck to the side. My son adores him & calls him his "dinosaur fish". The loaches on the other hand are very entertaining. To keep my 5g lit up I have a clip on desk lamp with a 20 watt bulb beside it. The loaches love it . At night they swim circles around the light. The only prob with this light is a green algae will form in front of it that looks like hair. A small net scoops it out & it is harmless. I have it for this tank on purpose as it is a great hideout for my baby platties. My best male & 2 females have their little ones in this tank. I move the babies out when they are 1/2 their parents size. Platties are live bearers & top feeders (tropical flakes are fine). Their requirements are similar to the loaches & pleco. They were $4 each. Consider swordtails (which are kind-of a fancy platty) , mollies , tetras , danios , guppies & gouramies all good for this type of set-up. My 2 loaches have an ornamental log to hide in (which pleco loves, too) & there is a fake plant for the 3 platties. Along with the pleco I consider this tank "full" any more then go to a 10g. As for the other fish I mentioned ; the guppy is a live-bearer who likes bloodworms ; mollies & swordtails are live-bearers & swordtails like a food variety (tropical flakes for the main diet with some bloodworms, shrimp pellets or goldfish flakes sometimes). The others all eat tropical flakes , too & like treats such as bloodworms, tropical crisps or color granules. All are nice communal fish with similar easy requirements. The only one I haven't had myself is the danio.These fish don't get much bigger then they are at the pet stores so you need larger tanks to have more of them not because they'll outgrow it ( except plecos). If you like interesting things with them I have had a lot of success in small tanks with the African dwarf frogs & the Japanese red-claw crabs ; just ask me! Hope there is some info here for you. Contact me anytime , Dar.

Youkai
05-21-03, 07:15 AM
I assumed with eels, he was talking about fire eels, tiretrack eels, etc. (Basically the Spiny eels) In which case, over 2' is pretty common...

Darlene
05-21-03, 07:21 AM
Let us know what you meant as eels , Don. If Youkai is right you need a big set-up for those guys. They aren't "easy".

snakemann87
05-21-03, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info. WHen i say eels Im meaning the little guys that you explained darlene. My friend had a yellow and black on(alternating stripes). I am going out to buy the tank today, Im holding off on the fish until everything is ready. But what are the dwarf frogs like in care, and size?? Also their price.

corr
05-21-03, 10:09 AM
That sounds like a Kuhli Loach. Great fish! They like lots of hiding places, sand, and being in groups.

Dwarf frogs only get about an inch long and are 3-5 bucks each.

Darlene
05-21-03, 01:56 PM
African Dwarf Frogs are a bit more here , $6 - $8. They like all the conditions I described for you in my 5g except a bit lower pH. They like 6.8 - 7.0 for their pH. If you can keep it around 7.0 then all will be OK. Corr is right about their size , my biggest could sit on a loonie & lived about 4 years. I have known them to live up to 8 , though. They eat off the bottom mostly or grab things partially sunk. Any food will suit them but they do like the shrimp.
Remember the advice on starting a new tank , too , so you won't lose any fish unnecessarily. Water testers & adjusters , as well as lots of foods & meds , are found at WalMart also. take a good look at what yours has , & your pet store , so you know what's around if you need it. Lots of luck & feel free to contact me ! Dar.

snakemann87
05-21-03, 05:04 PM
well unfortunately i didn't pick up the tank:( A month ago my dad got a VERY good job offer, good enough for my parents to think. Yesterday it was a closed deal that they want to move. Right now we are awaiting the call for details and if they're as good as they sounded, we're outta good ol' Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, hello sunny Pheonix, Arizona. I thought about it, and I have a ton of herps to move out with me and am going to have to be monitoring them while my dad and I drive out(my mom and siblings get to fly). So after talking with my parents I have come to the decision to hold off on the fish, since I have no idea how they do traveling on the road for days. I think of this as a plus though, I will have plenty of time to research the care, the fish I'd like, etc. Oh, not to mention more money saved up for a bigger tank:) I will still be asking some ?'s so please bare with me if you could. If I get too annoying just tell me, I'll try to eleviate the ?'s

corr
05-21-03, 05:22 PM
Well well, congrats on the new life! Phoenix is a big move from PA!

I don't think anyone here is going anywhere soon, so ask away whenever you're ready. :)

snakemann87
05-21-03, 05:25 PM
thank you, I am also going to try and save up alot, cause I in just IN LOVE with the balas, but their size is what is troubling me. If I can I'd like to get them.

Shane Tesser
05-21-03, 10:34 PM
Thats is a very wise choice! Im glad to see your taking the proper steps to getting there :D....and no..they dont travel well!!!

Tinytim12333
05-21-03, 11:02 PM
I guess your going to like it here, exept it got 104 today, maybe ill be able to meet ya. Phoenix is a very nice place. Hopefully you like it here. Bring me some chocolate from Hersey plz.

snakemann87
05-22-03, 08:09 AM
yeah Im happy with my decision also shane:) Where in pheonix tim?? I am almost 90% sure we're moving to Anthem. Check it out at www.anthemarizona.com

Tinytim12333
05-22-03, 10:58 AM
I live in kinda north kinda west phoenix

snakemann87
05-22-03, 12:00 PM
awesome. what herps have you caught. when i visit so far all ive found was a dead baby rattler, and a small lizard.

snakemann87
05-22-03, 12:22 PM
hey i was just looking at some fish sites. and here is a list of species i like, if you could tell me how suitable theyd be. and remember it will b awhile so ill have more money to spend now
Black Shark, Black-Finned Shark, Bala Shark, Dwarf Snakehead, Oscar, any Pleco, Upside Down Catfish, Rainbow Shark, Red Finned Cigar Shark, Red Bellied and Black Piranhas, Red Tailed Shark, Siamese Tigerfish, Swordtail, Variegated Sharks, and Wolf fish. Wow I just realized thats alot, but this doesnt mean these are the only kinds id get. Also if any of these are TOO TOO hard or over around 30-40 dollars then tell me. Thanks A TON in advance

Don

Shane Tesser
05-23-03, 02:38 AM
Lol...youve been busy...i think i could write volumes on why almost all of those are not for beginners..the most on housing requirements alone....but i like the swordtail choice..for a begginer..you cant go wrong...plus they breed like mad...actually if you dig in hard enough..you will learn that they can lack a male for an extended period of time and still give birth...or if there is only two females in a tank..or two males...they are one of the few animals in the world that can actually change sex!!! See, the common swordtail can be wonderus..and easy to keep ;)

snakemann87
05-23-03, 07:27 AM
wow thats awesome, i will get some of those, but are there any shark like ones that arent big?

Tinytim12333
05-23-03, 05:39 PM
Its 30 min drive from my house. Ive caught scorpians, snakes, lizards,bugs, worms, birds, ect. need i say moe?

corr
05-23-03, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by snakemann87
but are there any shark like ones that arent big?

Well, not really. The best choice for a "smallish" tank would be the redtail. They still get to 5 inches. You could only keep one and not with any fish that are substantially smaller.

snakemann87
05-24-03, 01:10 PM
well ive decided to wait until i move, which means ill have more money so hopefully ill be going with a nice 55 gallon tank, or larger if i can afford it, plus everything else

Tinytim12333
05-25-03, 12:48 PM
Hey i could help you pick out the healthiest fish if i can go. I dont think you will be able to find a pet store in anthem but im not sure.

snakemann87
05-25-03, 04:17 PM
no there arent any. But outside there are i know that, but all i know of is petco and petsmart, and id rather stay away from any chain stores

Tinytim12333
05-25-03, 10:02 PM
I also stay away from the chain stores, but i know of a small local chain that ones right by my house that have the healthiest fish i have ever seen.

snakemann87
05-26-03, 09:10 AM
awesome i cant wait to come uot, but we're still waiting for the call:/