PDA

View Full Version : serrasalmus? pygocentrus?

memento
06-16-02, 05:20 PM
Firstly hello to all :)
<--- new commer...

anyone else on this forum keep any species of piranha?

sSNAKESs.com
06-16-02, 05:43 PM
Welcome aboard man!! I used to keep 2.6 red breasted piranha's but i have sold all of my fish!

memento
06-16-02, 06:47 PM
wh0rd -
I currently have 3 tanks set up
20 gallon - 1 2.5" serrasalmus rhombeus (well thast what i htink it is wont know for awhile now untill it reachs 4")
33 gallon - 1 5" serrasalmus medenia
65 gallon - 3 3-4.5" serrasalmus spiloeura

go team piranha :)

so anyone else?

Shane Tesser
06-16-02, 09:45 PM
Welcome aboard, always nice to see a fellow fish fan. Can't say ive ever kept them, always admirred from afar. Im guessing that from you message the your Serrasalmus Rhombeus is still white/transparent in color. I have seen full grown Blacks in a store one time, Monsters, absolute Monsters, they reach up to Eighteen inches from What i Understand, still not too common though, very cool. Do they just kind of change colour completely from one day to a next, or is it really gradual? Serrasalmus Spiloeura (Red Throat/Diamond) i have never seen a real one to my knowledge. You must send pictures. As for "serrasalmus Medenia" cant say ive even heard of it. I know there is five species of piranha, and of which there is several subspecies. I was checking some of my material and couldn't find anything? I always thought that there was six subspecies to the Serrasalmus line, typo maybe, wrong species, or maybe my book is out-dated, either way, send pics, sound like you have some fairly rare ones, Have you ever seen the golds, very cool, s.t.

memento
06-17-02, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Shane Tesser
Welcome aboard, always nice to see a fellow fish fan. Can't say ive ever kept them, always admirred from afar. Im guessing that from you message the your Serrasalmus Rhombeus is still white/transparent in color. I have seen full grown Blacks in a store one time, Monsters, absolute Monsters, they reach up to Eighteen inches from What i Understand, still not too common though, very cool. Do they just kind of change colour completely from one day to a next, or is it really gradual?

Serrasalmus rhombeus referse to a few diff kinds of rhoms, its pretty sketchy as to weather or not they are different species of just different colourings in different regions. My rhom is silverish... its only 2.5" so i cant say for sure its a rhom untill it gains a few more inch's but from the growth rate I am pretty sure is a rhom.

Serrasalmus Spiloeura (Red Throat/Diamond) i have never seen a real one to my knowledge.

The spiloleura (common name spilo/golden piranha) are very cool as u mention a lil later in your post i assume you have seen them :) i just picked them up a week or so ago.. so far they aer living ok in a 65 gallon tank. (nipping the hell outa each others fin's, i'm actually thinknig of seperating them if they get any worse) These are the most active piranhas I have owned... not to skittish and hard hitters when they are eating right off the surface of the water, i absolutly love em.

You must send pictures.

Hopefully my friend remebers to bring his digi cam tongiht when he comes over and i can get you some pix of all these fish ;)

Medenia" cant say ive even heard of it

Medenia is the scientific name for the red throated piranhas.
What books do you use? ALot of the piranha books out on the market contain old and outdated information... I get most of my info from reading forums online as well as reading what I can when I get a chance to get my hands on a decent book :)

pix to come soon....

btw what kind of fish do you keep?

AzR@k
06-17-02, 01:59 PM
GO ADAM!!!
i need to think what i should put in my 130 gallon!!!!!! grrrrrr......help me adam!!

Shane Tesser
06-17-02, 11:31 PM
Hey Adam, my collection is somewhat scaled down now, I have probably just about kept everything under the sun as far as freshwater, dabbled in brackish, and shortly will be diving into salt. I just love anything that swims, the more odd, the more im into it. I just find that when ever it comes to the Jack dempseys or oscar, or the piranhas of the world, i end up having a soft spot for their food as well, and next thing i know, ive got twenty extra tanks with goldfish, lol. A couple of pictures of some of my tanks are somewhere in here on one of the links, nothing too unusual right now, my kind of scaling back as the hydro bill, plus the humidity in the house has gone nuts. The aim is to open a store in a year or two, maybe ill hire you to do a killer piranha display tank, Couple of hundred gallons...some nasty wild caugh, ten foot long specimens with three foot teeth.................are you picturing this. s.t.