PDA

View Full Version : Niles Diet?

burmer
05-09-03, 09:05 AM
Hey, I just picked up a hatchling Nile. I have been feeding him crickets and pinkies. I tried meal worms and he picked at one or two but wasn't really excited by them. I did alot of research before I got him. The care sheets that I saw conflict a bit when it comes to diet. Some say give them canned monitor food, others say cooked eggs and raw ground turkey. Besides the crickets and pinkies can anyone tell me what else I can give the little monster.

markb
05-09-03, 12:28 PM
Varanus niloticus and V. ornatus eat primarily shellfish and crabs in their diet; females up to 77% of it is this. For V. ornatus perhaps 9% is rodents. For babies, feed them dusted crickets and pinkies, with some fresh fish and garden snails (non pesticide variety) as much as they will eat in perhaps 10 minutes/day. Feed small meals everyday rather than huge meals 2x/week. Varanids are not snakes, and have a high metabolism compared to snakes. Keep the humidity high and temps from 80-100 range across the enclosure. Keep niles separate when young as competition = stress is fierce.

Good Luck,
mark bayless

burmer
05-09-03, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mark. Thats pretty much the way I have been feeding. I have been keeping it at about 90 in the tank with the basking area at about 100-110. Humidity is about 70% with a water bowl large enough for him to soak in. Thanks for the info.

LdyDrgn
05-10-03, 12:13 AM
When serving up fish, cook it first to kill off parasites. When offering snails, buy those that are consumable by humans so you know they are safe. Hissing cockroaches are a favorite, they love to chase them, LOL Crawfish needs to be frozen for at least 3 weeks, then thawed in a bowl of water in the microwave till warm, allow to cool, remove claws and outer thorax shell. :)

Good luck with your lil Nile Monster

LdyDrgn
05-10-03, 02:02 PM
Crawfish carry nasties as do most fish :) Freezing for 3 weeks ensures they die off more completely.

LdyDrgn
05-10-03, 08:01 PM
They cope the same as any other wild animal. It is merely our responsibility to feed our captives a safer, healthier diet. :)