PDA

View Full Version : Enough Filtration?

dippy
05-06-03, 08:50 PM
I am planning a planted 20g tank and am wondering if a pengiun 170 filter would be enough for it. I was thinking of an undergravel filter as well, but I don't want to take away any of the CO2 with the air bubbles from the plants. I could get a couple powerheads but they are kinda expensive. So would the 170gph power filter be enough. only about 10 small tetras in the tank.
Thanks E

corr
05-07-03, 05:43 AM
I'd say the 170 will do just fine. You can't use a UGF anyway because the roots will grow into it over time and render it useless. You might want to attatch a skimmer to it to remove the "pond scum".

You were concerned about losing CO2 with aeration - If you aren't going to add DIY CO2 then aeration is actually a good thing. By aerating, the bubbles actually carry in CO2 from the air into the tank. It's only small amounts, but more than what was already there.

dippy
05-07-03, 08:52 PM
Thanks corr. I hope the 170 works out. Do you think it would be worth it to get one of those CO2 systems. I keep seeing those Nutafin systems for 30$, is that worth it?

Thanks E

corr
05-08-03, 05:22 AM
Honestly, I have no idea if they're worth it or not. I've never used one. I use a DIY system that's very easy and very cheap.

dippy
05-08-03, 01:52 PM
What exactly is a DIY system

Shane Tesser
05-08-03, 03:36 PM
Ive seen the Nutrifin co system...at my local super pet..one of our members works there and she showed it to me. They set up identical tanks..one with, one without. Used the same plants lighting etc. The co2 tank plants are twice the size, the reds are redder...if thats a word lol, and the greens are greener. Over all i think this little system workds great, i just wish i has a tank set up small enough to use it right now. I would try it out for the money...i am sold..and so was she :D

corr
05-09-03, 07:26 AM
There's one set up in our store here too, Shane. The plants aren't much bigger and there is more hair algae in the one with the CO2 thingy. Maybe they just aren't maintaining it properly.

Dippy, a DIY (Do It Yourself) system consists of a 2 litre pop bottle, some air line, sugar, yeast and water. Here's some good reading.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

It's a little tricky to get the right mixture and know when to change it, but once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to maintain.

I use two cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and change it every two weeks for a 40 gallon tank.

Monitor the Ph and Kh to gauge the CO2 concentration. There's a chart on that page I linked to.

If you have anymore questions, please ask. :)

dippy
05-11-03, 09:29 PM
I have decided to go with the Nutrafin system. I was thinking of trying my own, but I'm usually not very good with things like that. That was a very cool site corr and almost convinced me I could make a system myself, I even created a list of items I was going to buy.

On a different note, I was thinking of getting Austrialian Rainbow fish instead of the tetras. How many of these fish do you think could possibly fit, and be happy in a planted 20g tank.

Thanks alot

Shane Tesser
05-11-03, 09:33 PM
Yeah corr..i saw another place this weekend..same thing..lots of algae...i think its the regulation of the amount that really throws ppl off..its kind of a hit and miss sorta thing. But lets face it..we have all seen the pics of what a proper co2 system can do for you...now only if the units for large tanks would come down in price...yes...ill take the $1.98 model!!! :)